Chapter Twenty

Eli pushes and pulls the pencil stub across the paper until Maggie's terror-filled eyes are staring back at him. He slams the pencil onto the desk and drops his head into his hands. The night he was dragged away from Maggie reels through his head.  

 After all the time he has spent behind locked doors, how could he think he could possibly outsmart Dr. Banes? He should've known better than to let his guard down.

Dr. Banes is not the benevolent doctor everyone thinks he is –- there's something rotten festering inside of him. Eli can sense it.

He plops down on his bunk and stares up at the deep indent from Bear's backside. Bear's baseball mitt of a hand dangles over the edge. His hot dog sized fingers sway back and forth, a few inches from Eli's face. There's a cross-shaped scar on the back of his hand.

"Bear." Eli pounds his fist against the bunk. "Bear!"

"Yeah," Bear answers, groggy. "Bro."

"You know what you were saying the other day?" 

The deep indent morphs and the top of Bear's shaved head appears, upside down, over the side of the bunk. His forehead furrows. His bright eyes squint. 

Eli whispers through his teeth. "About your Thanksgiving plans?" 

Bear nods. 

"I want in." 

Bear's eyes crinkle at the tips. "After dinner, during leisure time," he says. "Be ready." He disappears over the side. 

Eli flops back onto his pillow. 

"You gunna go get that girl in your drawings?" Bear says. 

Eli turns on his side and stares at a sketch of Maggie he taped to the concrete wall. She's smiling. She's happy. That's how he wants to remember her. He runs his fingers over her face. "I'm sure gunna try."

                                                     💙💙💙

https://www.deviantart.com/empiricamurgalicious/art/Michelle-743025342

pencil: https://depositphotos.com/vector-images/pencil-sketch.html