19. Naveed Suleiman

Start from the beginning

"Who's Haadi—your friend? Do you play video games or just barbie?" I remarked blankly while starting the game and felt her lower herself on the beanbag next to me.

"She is my friend, at Madrassa—She is same age as you—and very nice. Also, I don't play with barbies anymore—!! What are you playing? Oh! I play Harry Potter too—!" She clapped her hands happily and I shot her a pleased grin.

"Haadi, is a she? Isn't it boys name?" I didn't care to know but I did like it when she talked.

"Her name is Hadiyah—but everyone calls her Haadi for nickname. She is Moalima's daughter. Her parents run the Madrasah. She is from Kashmir but lives in Gulf— Do you know Kashmir, Naveed?" Her voice clashed with my ears but I sufficed to respond with a Nop, popping the P.

"Haadi says it's very beautiful—like heaven which is more beautiful than Switzerland—Oh! What time is it—? Oh no! It's already time for my Sabak (Lesson). I promised Moalima that I won't miss out on my lessons even on vacation—Can you tell me where the washroom is, please?" She asked politely and I showed her where the powder room was. I turned down the volume when she prayed and recited the Quran.

I didn't know about Qibla direction in this room but thankfully Buwa had come just then and guided her. It felt a little embarrassing watching her do all this. More than uncomfortable, I felt a sort of shame at being older and never doing anything of this sort.

All of a sudden, I felt sick of playing the game. So, I went and sat next to her on the couch while she Recited the Quran in a steady and calm tone.

وَمَآ أُمِرُوٓا۟ إِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُوا۟ ٱللَّهَ مُخْلِصِينَ لَهُ ٱلدِّينَ حُنَفَآءَ وَيُقِيمُوا۟ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ وَيُؤْتُوا۟ ٱلزَّكَوٰةَ ۚ وَذَٰلِكَ دِينُ ٱلْقَيِّمَةِ

And they have been commanded no more than this: To worship Allah, offering Him sincere devotion, being true (in faith); to establish regular prayer; and to practise regular charity; and that is the Religion Right and Straight. (98:5)

After she closed her Parah (Single Section of Quran) with a dua, she turned to me with a shy smile.

"Why do you pray and read Quran? I don't do it, even though I am older than you. Do your parents tell you to?" Mine never did, I added to myself.

"Because Allah has ordered us to do so. Haadi says we have to start praying after reaching 7 years of age. You should do it too. My Mother doesn't like it when I pray or read Quran—but Moalima says that this is our purpose and duty to our Creator, Allah. Mummy didn't want to put me into Madrasah but my Quran teacher said I need to learn Quran for my grades—" She kept going on and I felt a sense of irritation welling up in me.

"So what! You think you're so nice because you read Quran or pray?! Wow you're such a snob—a goody two shoes!" I turned away with a huff on noticing her eyes widening in surprise.

"I—I—Moalima says that if we don't listen to Allah then we will only hurt ourselves—like when elders tell us to eat vegetables, for our own good—and then if we get in trouble and ask Allah for something, Allah won't be very happy to talk to us because we didn't listen to Him first—" I heard her voice cracking behind me but still didn't turn. I was fuming with anger and didn't pay her any attention when she left moments later.