48 | Yesterday

Magsimula sa umpisa

I approach the two of them but not close enough for them to see me. Sumandal ako puno kung saan malapit sa bench na kanilang kinauupuan.

"Achi, do you want to talk about it?" Jesca asked.

Achi sighed, "I wanted to tell you that ever since that happened. The guilt is tugging me everyday."

"It's okay, Achi. Everything's in the past now. We should move on."

"I wanted to tell you how sorry I am for being a useless boy who dragged you into my messed up life. I didn't have the courage to fight for the things I wanted back then. Including you. I even made your family moved out of town."

Jesca looked at the swing in front of them. I followed her gaze and there are two children playing. Sa magkabilang upuan ay may isang batang lalaki at babae na masayang nakaupo roon.

"Going back here, it all feels like yesterday. I must admit, bumalik lahat ng alaala sa akin. My childhood memories up until my teenage life. I still remember how it all feels. Even the time where I laid my eyes on you." 

"You know, I really had this big crush on you ever since that freshman gathering. Your group were really loud that even the snobs will notice you guys. And I was one of them. I was actually nervous that time and I don't have any friends with me. I overheard one of you saying that "Hindi ako sigurado sa pinasok ko." At that, my nervousness doubled. The what ifs are already forming inside my head when I heard you say, "Whatever happens, just enjoy it." and you know that simple encouragement fired me up." Jesca smiled.

"And then, we became a thing. That's actually one of the unexpected and yet memorable things that has ever happened to me here in my hometown. The memories we've made when we're together helped me in some ways. I get to feel the love that I'm somehow yearning from someone. You made me feel loved. So don't you feel sorry about it, Achi." sabi ni Jesca na ngayon ay nakatingin na kay Achi.

Achi looked at her the same way she looks at him.

There's this token of appreciation between those looks, and the look of finality. I don't know what they're feeling at the moment, but I think they've both agreed to close that particular door between them. Like they need to finally accept the life ahead of them and move on, closing that past they left behind.

"Okay, I get it. Let me just ask you one thing." Achi asked.

"What is it?"

"Are you happy now?"

Jesca didn't answer right away, "I guess so? Life's been tough lately but I think it's bearable."

"And what about Marvin, is he treating you well?"

"Yes of course. In fact, he knows that I'm going to your house. Why? Do you still like me?" Jesca teases.

Napailing na lang si Achi sa kaniya. "By the way, I'm sorry for kissing you that time."

"Me too. I'm sorry that I almost got carried away. I think there's still a part of me that wants to reminisce the time we were together. Bigla ka naman kasing sumulpot out of nowhere. I guess, I miss the old times. Just kidding." pang-asar niya ulit.

Okay that's enough third wheeling for me. I start to walk away from them feeling a little satisfied with that happened. At least now it's all clear. Nagkalinawan na rin ang dalawa sa nararamdaman nila.