Chapter 24 - Elephants With Memories

"Katie? What are you doing home already? Shouldn't you be out celebrating your birthday with your friends?" my mom asked when I walked into the ktichen.

"Me and Maddie had a fight, don't worry, it's nothing big" I added when I saw her worried face. "Plus I want to share this day with the one and only I know I can always count on no matter what fights we have" I said and smiled at her as I stood beside her by the sink when she did the dishes.

My mom looked at me with a small smile in the corner of her lips.

"So, what would you like to do then?" she asked with a small smirk.

"Oh, I don't know, what would I like to do on my brithday? Got any suggestions?" I asked teasingly and she laughed.

"You still wanna go to that zoo? Aren't you a little too old for doing that?" my mom continued teasing me.

"Too old? Pfft, I'm never getting too old to go to the zoo on my birthday with my mom, it's a tradition and I expect you to hold it" I said and tried to keep a straight face.

"So you want me to pick you up when you're 30 and have kids on your own on your birthday just so we can go to the zoo?" my mom said and I looked at her with faked shock.

"You're saying you won't do that?" I asked faking a hurt face.

My mom bursted out laughing, I knew she wouldn't be able to keep her face for too long. I laughed with her and she put away the clean dish.

"I'm serious though" I said and she chuckled.

"I guessed so" she said before kissing my forehead. "Go get dressed, we leave in twenty" she added and I smiled.

I kissed her cheek before I ran up to my room to get dressed to go and see the elephant family on the zoo my mom had taken me to when I was a little girl.

~~

I woke up without having a nightmare. I smiled as I felt Rick's chest rise and sink as he was breathing heavily. I was scared of moving, I didn't want to wake him up. After a few minutes of just listening to his heartbeat and feeling his breathing while my head was on his chest I heard his breathing start indicating he was waking up. I turned my head a little to watch as his eyes started to open slowly.

"Hi sleepy head" I whispered and he peeked down at me.

"Hey" he said with a smile forming on his lips.

I rised a bit on my elbows to put my lips on his and pecked them. He put his arm around my back to hold me down so he could keep my lips on his. He kissed me gently and I melted into him. Once we pulled away we looked into each other's eyes for a long time. I leant down and pecked his lips again before I pulled away and sat up in the bed. I sighed before I opened my mouth to speak.

"Guess today is the day" when he looked at me with a questioning look I added "to put away Bracken."

His eyes lit up with understanding and I could see a smile of both sorrow and delight. I started thinking about it and one question popped up in my head which I had no idea if we had even talked about.

"How exactly are we gonna do this?" I asked concerned.

I could see he thought about it for a moment before he decided what to answer.

"We're gonna drive to the precinct where we're gonna met the boys and their captain will decide together with us how we're supposed to go down with this" he answered and I nodded.