Chapter 11 - Alone & Cold

Somehow I had been able fall asleep during my crying. I was pulled out of the darkness when I heard someone calling out my name. I wasn't able to open my eyes. They were heavy. So heavy.

"Stay with me... Kate... stay with me" a voice kept motioning in my ear.

I tried to pull myself further out of the darkness but it was too dark and too foggy to get out. I heard the voice talking but I couldn't make out a word that was said. It felt as the ground was moving and I felt nauseous. Everything was spinning even though I couldn't see anything. What was going on? I tried my best to find the muscles to open my eyes but they felt like they weighed a ton pounds. I tried to find any other muscles to move, tried to feel anything. Which suddenly resulted in me feeling a hand holding mine, squeezing it tightly.

"You're gonna be okay, schh, you're gonna be okay" someone told neatly into my right ear.

I managed to make my finger twitch and I felt something soft against my back and my legs. My head fell against something even softer and I could feel some strange energy beside me.

"If you can hear me, please, squeez my hand" the voice said and I followed every nerve of mine to find the way to my muscles in my right hand.

I found my hand and used all my strength to just manage squeez the hand lightly.

"I came here as fast as I could, what's happened?" I could hear a woman's voice coming nearby.

The man's voice started to say something but the darkness took over completely again. I walked in the darkness and wondered where I was. Was I in a dark room? Where was I? Where had the voice gone? Was this real? I looked around and a sudden dark red paint was all over the ground. It was all sticky and wherever I went I could feel the sludge everywhere. That was when the smell came. It was iron smell, a kind of iron smell I wasn't quite used to. Yet it was so familiar to me somehow. That's when it hit me. That's the same smell that belonged to blood. I started screaming. I couldn't help but scream and run away. It didn't matter wherever I went, the blood was still at my feet. My heart was pounding hard against my chest and my breathing accelerated for each second that passed. I flinched when I heard the voice again.

"Keep calm, Kate... it's almost over" the soothing voice said and I tried my best to calm down.

I stopped screaming, starting sobbing instead, but I couldn't stop running. The red color didn't disappear but now I was surrounded by a lot of other dark colors. Blue, orange, green, purple. Everywhere I looked there was a dark color or it was just plain black. My right foot got stuck and suddenly I couldn't run anymore. It felt like I was stuck in quicksand and I couldn't do anything to get out of it. When I looked down I saw the red, sticky sludge pulling me down. I tried my best to get away but it was impossible.

"Come on Kate, wake up" the man's whisper floated around the dark place.

I tried to find him. He must be here somewhere. A voice couldn't just appear, could it? But there was no one to be found. There was a few stings in my foot and I tried to break loose from the sticky blood but I couldn't. It hurt so badly but I could not do a thing about it! I was frustrated and I felt my heart racing. All of a sudden the stings stopped. And the horrible darkness filled with fear was replaced with a calm, stillness-filled darkness. I relaxed and I could feel the soft ground I was laying on again.

"Sweetie, I'm done now, you can wake up" a woman's voice said and I tried to pull myself out of the still dark.

I didn't want to leave, though, but something told me to listen to the voice. The darkness was so calm and I would much rather stay there but my heart told me to return to wherever the voice came from. Slowly, the darkness faded away and I could finally find my eyes. My eyes fluttered open into a too light room, I shut my eyes before blinking a few times so my eyes could adjust to the light. I saw Rick stand at the end of the bed looking down at me with relief all over his face. I looked at the woman sitting by my side and I immediately tried to pull away but she saw my fear and backed away slowly with hands raised.