Chapter 19

The next day, Laurel found herself sitting in the visitor's room of Iron Heights as Peter Declan was brought out before her.

"What do you want Ms. Lance?" Peter asked.

"To get you out of here." Laurel said, much to his surprise.

"Really. I thought that you and everyone else in this city believed that I killed my wife." Peter said.

"No Peter, I don't. I can't explain everything, but what I can tell you is that I believe that you were framed by Jason Brodeur and I'm going to get you out of here." Laurel said.

"Why do you care?" Peter asked.

"Because I care about justice and letting an innocent man be executed is not justice." Laurel said.

"Really, well you're the only one and you didn't seem to care about it until now." Declan said.

"To be fair, I was still in law school when you were arrested. But my father has reopened your case and after looking over all information together, we both realized that the pieces had fallen into place a little too perfectly. That's why we decided to double check." Laurel said.

"I'm sorry, but you understand my skepticism." Declan said.

"I do, but I assure you, I am going to do everything I can to get you out of here and back to your daughter." Laurel said and Declan nodded, though he still looked doubtful.

"So, tell me again why you're looking into this closed case?" Hilton asked his partner.

"Take a closer look Lucas. The more I look at this report, the more I realize that the pieces of this case fell into place almost a little too perfectly. See." Quentin said as he showed Hilton the reports he'd been looking at and after a few minutes of looking, Hilton had to admit that maybe Quentin had a point.

"Okay, maybe there's something going on here, but still, maybe you're just overthinking it." Hilton said.

"Maybe I am, but if there's a chance that we got the wrong guy, then I am taking it before an innocent man pays for a crime he didn't commit." Quentin said.

"Okay then, so where do we start?" Hilton asked.

"That's the thing, I can't bring you into this, since technically, a hunch isn't enough to get a warrant to search into anything. Plus, who knows, maybe corruption in the legal system played a role in this as well." Quentin said.

"Wait, you're willing to go outside the law?" Hilton asked, shocked.

"If there's one thing people like Superman and Batman have proven, it's that sometimes the law isn't enough to achieve justice." Quentin said, not believing he was saying those words. Then again, Oliver Queen's return to Star City had forced him to reevaluate his priorities.

"Still, where are you going to start on this?" Hilton asked.

"According to records, Declan stated that his wife Camile had evidence that her boss Jason Brodeur was guilty of toxic dumping and she gave her evidence to her supervisor, Matt Istook. I know it's a long shot, since we interviewed Istook before, but maybe we missed something, since honestly, how often are businessmen like that actually honest?" Quentin asked.

"Fair enough. I'll try to cover for you." Hilton said.

"Thank you." Quentin said, even though he wouldn't actually be the one to talk to Istook. That would be Oliver's pleasure.

That night, Matt Istook was on his way out to his car from his office when the lights went out.

"What's going on?" Istook asked, right as an arrow flew right past his leg and embedded itself in his car.