41. beautiful butterfly

Start from the beginning

"I missed you too, Matt. You look great." Brynley smiled at the Donovan boy.

"Thank you, you too," Matt replied and pointed at her butterfly necklace. "That's new, right? The only jewelry I've ever seen you wear is that charm bracelet."

"Yeah, it is, Elijah gave it to me." Brynley answered and blushed slightly.

"Wow, that's a lot of diamonds." Matt joked and Brynley laughed.

"Okay, I got a text from my dad saying he wants a picture of the three of us. So we have to find someone to take our picture once Tyler gets here-" Brynley began.

"B-Bell, Tyler left again." Matt interrupted and Brynley froze. "He left to go break his sire bond to Klaus, he called Caroline earlier."

"Oh my god," Brynley's eyes widened. "Have you heard from him?"

"Nope." Matt shook his head.

"Well then, I guess it's just two out of the three idiots in the picture today." Brynley smiled and went to go grab someone to take a picture.

-

"Are you having fun?" Brynley asked as she walked up to Elijah and he shrugged.

"Are you?" He asked back.

"I guess, I've been silently rating every women's dress as she walks through the door." Brynley whispered and Elijah smirked at her. "I would do it to the guys' suits, but they all look the same. You look the best though."

"Thank you." Elijah smiled and the two looked at Caroline, who just walked through the door in a beautiful blue dress. "And her?"

"9.5, she could smile a little, but she looks very pretty." Brynley whispered.

"Klaus gave her what she's wearing." Elijah informed and grabbed two glasses of champagne from a tray a waiter was carrying, handing one to Brynley.

"Thank you." Brynley hummed as Klaus walked up Caroline, but the blonde walked past him. Brynley smiled at the hybrid's rejection. "I always loved Caroline."

"Come on." Elijah slipped his hand into Brynley's and began to lead her to the stairs, where she could see Rebekah and Kol stood and Finn was beginning to walk towards.

"Elijah, no." Brynley stopped and Elijah placed a hand on her face.

"You should be up there with all of us." Klaus walked past the couple and up the stairs.

"You're part of the family." Elijah whispered and Brynley nodded before the couple walked up the stairs. Rebekah, Finn, and Kol looked at Brynley, smiling at her. Esther stood at the top of the stair case, Kol in front of her and Klaus in front of him. Brynley and Elijah stood in front of the hybrid. Brynley held the glass of champagne and the other held onto the railing to make sure she didn't fell because of the heels she was wearing. Elijah had an arm wrapped behind her waist to help her balance and to comfort the nerves she was obviously having from being up there.

"Uh, if everyone could gather, please." Elijah addressed the company. "Welcome, thank you for joining us. You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance. Tonight's pick is a centuries-old waltz, so if all of you could please find yourselves a partner, please join us in the ballroom."

Elijah offered Brynley a hand and she took it with a small smile on her face. The couple walked down the stairs and into the ballroom, ready to dance.

"That wasn't so hard, was it?" Elijah smirked and Brynley rolled her eyes playfully as the two and everyone else in the ballroom began to dance.

"It was nerve-wrecking." Brynley joked.

"You handled it very well." Elijah complimented.

"Thank you." Brynley smiled and Elijah gazed at her. "What?"

"I can't get over how stunning you look." Elijah whispered and Brynley blushed with a smile. Elijah twirled her and Brynley landed in someone's else arms, Klaus's.

"You've got to be kidding me." Brynley rolled her eyes.

"Nice to see you too, Brynley." Klaus smirked.

"Oh, I'm sorry, am I suppose to be happy to see you?" Brynley questioned and Klaus looked down. "Do I need to remind you how you killed my mother and practically killed me?"

"You may not believe me, but I'm sorry about that." Klaus apologized and made eye contact with Elijah, who was watching Brynley. "He really cares about you, and that's something he hasn't done in a long time."

"Really?" Brynley whispered.

"He doesn't let people in, Brynley, but he let you in, don't make him regret that." Klaus said and Brynley glanced at Elijah, who was looking at her.

-

"Elena says my mother has truly forgiven Klaus." Elijah walked up to Brynley with two glasses of champagne, handing one to her.

"But you don't believe her." Brynley guessed and Elijah nodded.

"Do you?" Elijah asked.

"I don't know, I guess it doesn't exactly make sense," Brynley shrugged. "I mean, he killed her and she throws a party to forgive him."

"Good Evening, Ladies and Gentleman. Waiters are coming around with champagne. I invite you all to join me in raising a glass," Esther said from the top of stair case and lifted her glass. "It provides me with no greater joy then to see my family back together as one. I'd like to thank you all for being part of this spectacular evening. Cheers!"

"Cheers." Elijah whispered to Brynley.

"Cheers." Brynley repeated and the two took a sip of the champagne.

-

"What a night." Brynley threw herself on to the bed in her and Elijah's room after she had taken off her dress and changed into a t-shirt and shorts. The ball was over. Kol had attacked Matt and Damon stopped him, but then he snapped the Mikaelson's neck.

"Indeed." Elijah agreed and slipped off his tie.

"I had fun though," Brynley sat up and removed her earrings, placing them on the nightstand next to her bed. "I got to see Matt."

"And where was Tyler?" Elijah asked.

"Out of town." Brynley replied. "I should call him tomorrow."

Meanwhile, in Esther's study, she and Finn were discussing their plans to take down the Mikaelson children.

"You aren't having second thoughts, are you?" Finn asked.

"Of course not, it's just Elijah. He's so moral." Esther sighed.

"You're doing the right thing, mother." Finn reminded.

"And he has that soulmate of his," Esther stopped and realized. "She could be very useful into getting Elijah to not stop us."

a/n: woo! Long chapter! btw bryn's dress is at the top and her necklace is right here (it's over $1000 hehe)