''It's better than those girls he was messing with. Always making him out to be some father of their own, aren't I right mama?'' She asked, looking over in Charlotte's direction. Charlotte's eyes widened as she let out a long 'Mhm' in agreement, shaking her head out of disgust.

''He was talkin' to me about one of those girls one day, I was ready to go to their house myself. Talkin' about how she'd get mad if he didn't tell her he was takin' a nap... You're a boyfriend, not a dog! That's what I told him.'' She rambled on. Gabriel let out a scoff of laughter, shaking his head before placing a hand on my back.

''He's a good kid. Been with him since day one.'' He said. ''Anyways... what's been bothering you? You looked terrified the whole service.''

''...My brother's just said some weird stuff to me last night, it's just making me get in my head.'' I admitted. Nyx's eyes widened at my words, motioning towards me with a finger.

''Aren was freaking me out the whole damn service! He just had this cold stare in his eyes lookin' at Gabriel...''

''Exactly! I just... I don't know what to think. I'm just paranoid.'' I admitted.

''I learned that paranoia usually means I'm right. I mean, I'm never wrong.'' Ava said.

''Well, what did he say?'' Gabriel asked, ignoring her statement.

''When I came home from your house yesterday, he was just being his dick self as usual. But when I went up in my bedroom, he started going on about how mom and dad forced us into this religion and I'm all fucked up. Said he went to college and he learned a lot... It's just weird. I obviously told him mom and dad gave him a choice...'' I started. They all grew silent at my words, motioning for me to continue.

''He wanted me to get out of the house and join him or something. I told him that he doesn't really care about what I do, he just wants to control me. Then he just... said I was going to hell and that I was a faggot.'' I said. My voice broke at the end of the sentence, even though I tried to laugh to ease the severity of it.

Gabriel looked pissed.

''Maybe he's just hanging around with bad people, you know? The college is far away and all that. I just don't understand why he'd tell you that...'' Precious muttered. Gabriel shook his head at her words, motioning towards all of the empty pews.

''Pretty weird how he's acting like this and there's nobody here every Sunday?'' Gabriel said through gritted teeth. Nyx shook her head at his words, pulling herself off the stage and crossing her arms across her chest.

''Come on, I don't think anything like that is happening again. Maybe they just haven't had the time to come? It's just bad luck-''

''Luke told me that all the elders at Matthew's church left ages ago. Nobody's going there either, Nyx. You wanna know who contacted my mother in law?'' Gabriel asked. Precious's eyes widened at his words.

''I don't understand, Gabriel... What does my brother have to do with anything?''

''That sick fuck is doing something, I bet you. She doesn't even wanna tell Luke or any of the family what he said. She hasn't even left her house.'' Gabriel said. He scoffed at his own words, pushing himself off of the stage before gazing over at Charlotte.

''I'll go back to how I used to be if that fuck tries anything with my family. Call me paranoid, but something is going on.'' He said. Charlotte let out a sigh before grabbing ahold of her cane, pushing herself up from the rocking chair and began walking over to us. She had a hobble in her walk, but otherwise, she didn't look a day over 50.

''Think of your kids, curly. I'm not disagreeing with you, but don't do anything that will harm them.'' She said. She then looked over at me, pointing at me with a smile.

''He's your kid too. Start by taking care of him. He needs you right now.''

Gabriel nodded his head, letting out a shaky breath before placing a comforting hand on my back.

''I'd rather if you stayed at my house for a few days again. I'm gonna call up your parents and let them know what's going on. I don't even know if I feel safe with that kid around them...'' He admitted. I shook my head at his words.

''No... he wouldn't do anything bad to them. He's not like that.'' I assured him.

I guess he's the paranoid one now.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Gabriel and I sat in his car together once we made it to his house. He let out a deep sigh after shifting the gear into 'park', pressing his head against the head of the seat before looking at me.

''I'm sorry if all of that made you felt worse, kid. He's probably just around some people who judged him for who he was. Still don't want you in that environment, you know?'' He told me. I nodded my head in agreement, watching him reach in his pocket to grab his phone.

''I'm gonna call your parents now and have a chat with them. I'm sure Luke has lunch out on the table for us, so let him know I'll be in to eat in a few minutes.'' He said. I nodded my head at his words, pulling myself out of the car and closing the door behind me. A sigh I've been holding in finally left my throat as I walked up to the door, various things flooding my mind as I searched for an answer.

What was Gabriel talking about? What happened all that time ago with their family? What does it have to do with my brother?

I'm sure it's just nothing. Just someone misguiding my brother.