Chapter Ten: Adventures in Goldenrod

Start from the beginning

Once we had made our purchases we were making our way to the staircase yet again when I noticed a familiar face.

Jess was standing by a counter with some blonde guy wearing a purple headband. They seemed to be considering buying whatever they were looking at.

"Hey Silver, follow me!" I told him and rushed off in their direction. I wanted a chance to rematch Jess and this would be the perfect time.

I pushed past a couple of people and heard Silver apologizing for me while I made my way to the two trainers.

Jess's friend was about the same age and height as her. He was wearing a purple scarf that covered his neck and shoulder and his skin was pale. Shadows seemed to cloak his facial features and his expression was that of mild amusement.

I came to a stop in front of them. "Heya Jess!" The trainers seemed to not have noticed me before and quickly turned to look at me.

Jess's neutral expression formed into a smile and she put her hands together. "Oh, hiya... Gold, wasn't it?"

I nodded and Silver finally caught up with me. "We were stopping here to shop and I saw you," I explained.

"Well, I'm glad you popped in to say hello! This is my friend, Morty. We both grew up together in Ecruteak and he's now the Gym Leader." Jess introduced her friend.

Morty made a slight waving motion with his hand. "Pleased to meet you." He spoke softly and slowly.

"You're a gym leader?" I confirmed. "That's so awesome!"

Morty's smile grew slightly and he lifted his head. "Thank you. I take it you're a trainer? Unfortunately, I'm not doing any battles today. My gym is up north and I've taken the day off." He said.

"That's alright," I said. "I actually wanted to battle Jess." I gestured to the girl.

She put one hand on her hip and smiled coyly. "Oh, really? You want a rematch after I beat you last time?"

I wanted to spit back an insult but I crossed my arms and tried to match her grin. "Yeah, I've gotten way stronger since then and I want to show off you!"

"You've got quite the confidence, young trainer," Morty observed. He seemed to finally take notice that Silver was standing there quietly. "And who's this?"

Silver seemed to snap back into reality and looked at the man. "Uhm I'm Silver!" He said. "Gold and I are traveling together."

The Gym Leader nodded to him and I quickly guided the conversation back on track. "So Jess, how about it?"

Jess shrugged. "Sounds good to me. Let's go outside then." She said and we all walked to the stairs.

The four of us went outside to the center street and Morty cleared the crowd enough to create a large circle to battle in. "Alright, this will be a three on three Pokémon battle. Neither trainer may substitute Pokémon and the battle will be over once all three Pokémon on either side can no longer battle." Morty explained.

The trainer then turned to look at me. "Give the crowd a good match, they love to see electrifying battles and I want to see if you can get them excited," Morty said and then he stepped off to the sidelines. "Battle... begin!"

Jess pitched a Great Ball into the air and I quickly tossed out Elekid's Poké Ball. Elekid appeared on the field and began to feign attacks to pander to the crowd.

I felt Eevee's Poké Ball start to shake and I sent her out. She grinned up at me and turned to face the battle. "Oh I see, you want to watch, do you?" Eevee nodded and I turned my attention to the battle.