- 7 4 - MOODY

THE ANNOUNCEMENT THAT THERE WOULDN'T BE A QUIDDITCH CUP WAS THE FIRST THING OUT OF DUMBLEDORE'S MOUTH

THE ANNOUNCEMENT THAT THERE WOULDN'T BE A QUIDDITCH CUP WAS THE FIRST THING OUT OF DUMBLEDORE'S MOUTH. After seeing Harry's appalled face along with many others (including Angelina who still couldn't believe it), there was the announcement of the tournament. The announcement, however, was interrupted by the Great Hall doors being slammed open.

Lorelei flinched and looked over the sea of heads to see a man hobbling in. She had noticed the vacant seat at the staff table, but surely this man wasn't taking that role; he was terrifying. His face seemed to have a chunk taken out of it near his nose, and his eyes. Lorelei flinched when one of his eyes rolled dramatically to look right at Harry, then right at her. It seemed to look at every student in an accusing way.

He hobbled all the way to Dumbledore who only smiled at him and took his hand. He quietly mumbled something to the new face, and then the man hobbled off to take his seat at the staff table. The man then began to eat as if nothing had happened. One eye was focused on his food while the other swiveled around the room.

"May I introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?" Dumbledore asked whilst still smiling. "Professor Moody."

Lorelei flinched when the eye swiveled to meet hers again. She leaned closer to Harry who sat to her right. She heard him question Ron if it was the Mad-Eye Moody that Arthur was friends with. She hated the way he was looking at her. She felt as if he was trying to decipher a hard puzzle.

George noticed her uncomfortable gaze at the food she now poked at. He, since he was sitting on her right, nudged her side. She only nodded at him, but she didn't even lookup. She knew he was going to ask if she was all right. There was no reason for her not to be even if the new Professor continued to stare at her, so she gave him the best smile she could muster at that moment.

Dumbledore began to speak introducing the tournament being done this year. "It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

"You're JOKING," Fred said loudly and glanced at Lorelei in disbelief. None of them had realized that was the competition she was talking about. Of course, she didn't know how awesome this tournament was due to her being a mermaid. The Great Hall erupted in laughter at the loud boy and the tension from Moody was gone.

"I am not joking, Mr. Weasley," Dumbledore said with a smile.

He began to explain the rules of the tournament, but Lorelei was still the only one who was not eased by the presence of Mad-Eye Moody. She listened intently about the death rates of the tournament and the great effort they took to reinstate the tournament. She felt George place a hand on her thigh, but he didn't look at her. He rubbed small circles hoping to ease her nerves.

Her face burned at the touch, and she was glad for a moment that she was distracted by the professor still glancing at her now and then.

The champions from the three schools, as Beauxbatons and Durmstrang were joining them, would be chosen on Halloween. There would be a thousand Galleon person prize money as the winnings.

"I'm going for it," Fred hissed down to George and Lorelei. Lorelei knew why. They wanted to get the money they'd lost. Lorelei narrowed her eyes at him. "You will not. That is dangerous, Frederick Weasley. You could die."

"I'll die one day. Might as well leave a legacy," he replied with a wink.

Then, the best thing Lorelei heard was said: the age limit.

"They can't do that!" George said as the Great Hall was emptying after Dumbledore's speech. "We're seventeen in April, why can't we have a shot?"

"They're not stopping me from entering," Fred said with a scowl. "The champion'll get to do all sorts of stuff you'd never be allowed to do normally. And a thousand Galleon prize money!"

Lorelei hit him lightly in the chest. Glaring, she stormed past the group of Gryffindors to help lead the first-years to their dorms. Her Prefect pin felt like it was burning as her whole face grew red. She couldn't believe they'd risk their lives when she was offering them money for it! If they wanted to pay her back, so be it! It didn't have to be this very second!

Scowling, she hadn't realized she was about to run into someone until the large person turned around swiftly. His eye swiveled as it glanced at her and a smirk placed itself on his lips.

"What year are you?" he grumbled loudly making her flinch.

"Sixth, sir. I really must be going to--"

"Miss Black. Hmmph...yes, you'll be a talent in my class," he muttered stepping aside. Her eyes grew wide at her last name.

"My last name is Calypso, Professor," she squeaked out when she saw his eye narrowing.

Professor Moody only gave a sarcastic laugh. "I don't think so, Black. Now, move along."

Lorelei nodded and decided the prefects would do fine without her. Nodding at the Head Boy and Head Girl, she acted as if she was leading Gryffindors, but she really was pushing them to get passed. Once in the Common Room, she went straight to her dorm without another word.

She set Brizo on her bed and ran to grab parchment and a quill from her trunk. Scribbling quickly, she wrote her letter.

Dear Moony and/or Padfoot,

I'm writing this in a rush, please don't mind the messy scrawl. There is a new Defense teacher (obviously), but something is not right with him. Not at all. He knew who I was--called me Miss Black. He had this look in his eye and was watching me throughout the welcoming feast.

I'm nervous...a bit scared. His name is Professor Moody--Mad-Eye Moody. Ron and the twins say he knows Arthur and Arthur speaks highly of him, but something isn't sitting right. The way he would watch Harry and me was unnerving. Please tell me I'm being ridiculous and overthinking...

I miss you both, terribly. Please write back as soon as you both can.

Love, Lorelei