- 5 1 - DEMENTOR

LORELEI FROWNED THINKING OF FRED AND GEORGE

LORELEI FROWNED THINKING OF FRED AND GEORGE. She didn't want to bother Harry or Ron, and she knew Ginny was sitting with her friends. She groaned to herself and went into the empty compartment where she had changed. She would just sit there for now.

A knock on the door made her glance up. Cedric was smiling down at her. Was he always smiling?

"Why are you alone, Calypso? I would've thought you would have run to the Weasleys by now," he said jokingly before taking a seat across from her.

Lorelei rolled her eyes and pulled Brizo out of her pocket. Brizo eyed the Hufflepuff wearily. "They aren't pleased with my new role. I'd rather not sit through the train ride listening to them complain and mope. They've probably got Lee in on it too."

Cedric scoffed. "They're your friends and shouldn't care. They should be proud of you. Ya know what I think? They must be jealous," he said with a grin. "I mean, the twins would never get this type of position."

"You're right about that," she said with her own smirk and a chuckle. Cedric beamed at her.

He pointed toward Brizo. "What's his name? Seems fearful of me."

"Brizo. He's just not used to new company."

"Ah, I won't harm you, Brizo," Cedric said giving Brizo his charming smile. "Come over for a moment, will you?" Brizo looked at him wearily before looking at Lorelei.

"What? You want to go?" Brizo nodded and Cedric watched the woman in amazement. "Well, then. Don't let me stop you. We aren't going to the twins, so make a new friend." Lorelei put Brizo on the seat next to Cedric.

He wearily climbed over to Cedric's lap, the wizard gently petting him.

"See? No harm here," Cedric said and glanced up at Lorelei who was smiling fondly at her crab. "So, Calypso? This is Wood's last year? I made Captain this year."

"Did you, really? That's wonderful," she said, and she meant it. Cedric had always been a good player. "Yeah, this is Oliver's last year. I don't know what I'll do when he's gone."

"You'll make Captain for sure next year. Once again, could you see the twins in that type of leadership position?" Cedric said with his own smirk. Brizo had claimed Cedric's shoulder now as he began to fall asleep.

Lorelei laughed loudly at that. "No. It will definitely be between me and Angelina." The two talked for what seemed like hours. Cedric didn't mind spending his time with the Gryffindor, though he knew he would have to find his friends eventually. They were probably wondering where he was. Before he could excuse himself, even if he really didn't want to leave, the train halted on the tracks.

"We can't be there, yet," Cedric said with a frown. Brizo jumped over to Lorelei in fear.

Everything had gotten colder. The windows froze over and even Cedric was beginning to fear what was happening. It felt like the happy vibe the compartment held had completely disappeared. The lights shut off making Brizo scream in fear. Cedric stood up with his wand out in front of Lorelei and Brizo. He watched as a dark, cloaked figure approached their compartment.

"C-Cedric? What is that?" she mumbled scooting further away from the door.

The thing opened the door with a loud screech, and even Cedric backed away. He froze for a moment realizing it was a dementor on the Hogwarts Express. And the dementor seemed to be staring at Lorelei for a moment. His eyes widened in fear when the dementor began to perform what he knew as the kiss.

"E-Expecto Patronum!" Cedric tried, but there was no luck. He tried again and again, and he could see Brizo frightened as Lorelei's eyes became lifeless. Cedric was about to panic. He was beginning to shake as he realized he was about to allow a girl he barely knew to lose her soul. Finally, he shouted, "Expecto Patronum!" A bright light left his wand making the dementor screech and fly away.

Lorelei fainted on the seat next to him, but he only glanced her way for a second. The train began to move, the lights came on, and Brizo was staring at Lorelei in fear. Cedric looked out the compartment for help, and almost screamed in happiness when he saw what looked like a Professor making his way toward the front of the train.

"Er...Professor?" he tried and the man stopped to look at him. "S-She fainted, sir. I was able to get the dementor away, b-but she fainted."

The man's (who certainly was a professor, and Cedric learned him to be Professor Lupin) eyes widened and pushed passed the boy to see Lorelei still fainted on the cushioned seat.

"Afraid we have to wait until she wakes up, Mr..."

"Diggory, sir. Why did the dementor attack her?"

"Her bloodline is not the best. They could have likely thought she was one of her relatives who they are so desperately searching for," Remus replied rubbing a hand on his forehead in frustration. "You may go if you so wish. I'll wait for her."

"I-I should inform her friends. Let her know I got rid of it. I don't want her to think I left her here alone," Cedric said with a crooked smile. "Thanks, Professor Lupin."

When Cedric left to find those bloody twins, Remus stared at the girl hoping she would wake up soon. First, Harry, and now her. Those dementors are going to be nothing but trouble this year.

"P-Professor?" Lorelei mumbled, and Remus looked down to see her beginning to sit up. "What was that? Where is Cedric? What happened?"

"Ah, calm down. Here, have some chocolate," Remus said while shoving a chocolate bar in her face once she had sat up completely. "Chocolate helps. Eat it."

Lorelei nodded and nibbled on the chocolate.

"Mr. Diggory left to inform your friends. It was a dementor that boarded the train. Those are the guards of Azkaban. They were searching the train for Sirius Black, idiots they are. Mr. Diggory sent them away, he wanted you to know," Remus said answering her questions. "They were going to take your soul, you see. Nasty things, dementors are."

Brizo finally calmed down enough to rest on Lorelei's shoulder. "But why me? Why didn't it affect Cedric?"

"Your bloodline, Miss Calypso. That's all I know, unfortunately. Get some rest. I have to go speak to the driver," Remus said with a timid smile. "They're gone. No need to worry, for now."

Lorelei couldn't help but worry. When the professor left, she leaned against the window in fright with Brizo shivering on her shoulder.