- 1 2 3 - OCCLUMENCY

BUCKBEAK WAS RESTLESS, LOCKED UP JUST AS SIRIUS

BUCKBEAK WAS RESTLESS, LOCKED UP JUST AS SIRIUS. Both males could not sit still. Sirius was going up and down the halls singing, "God Rest Ye Merry, Hippogriffs!" as loud as he could while Buckbeak was fighting the dead mice. Dead. Lorelei sighed and brought up some food for the creature. It was not much as they had a big family to feed, but it was enough.

She had been spending a lot of time with Buckbeak recently. Now that Hermione was here, Harry was suddenly well-aware that he was not the weapon, nor was anyone hiding from him. Lorelei stood pushed away as the bushy-haired female took to his side every moment.

Lorelei laid near the giant bird looking through another photo album of the Marauders. Lorelei could not feel hatred for the young Peter Pettigrew because, at one point, the Marauders were a family who loved each other. The war changed people, just as it was doing now.

"Knock, knock," George said, opening the door slightly to see his mermaid hiding almost under Buckbeak's feathers. It was cold, he noticed, so he figured the bird was warming her. Bowing to Buckbeak, he grinned when the bird bowed back. "I brought you some butterbeer. Sirius is on a rampage with his singing again, I almost slipped on his spilled drink."

Lorelei smiled a bit at him. She moved herself to lean slightly on him as she continued to look at the pictures. "Look at how similar Sirius and Regulus looked." There was a page with a few photos of the brothers.

"Your dad?" George questioned, pulling the album from her lap to get a better view. "Yeah, they definitely look alike. Sirius has the more amusing persona. No offense, but your dad looks like he's got a stick up his arse."

"It's how they were raised," she started, "but Sirius was able to get out. With the help of James, of course."

"Merlin! Look at Harry's clone! He looks just like his father," George said with a smirk. "Is that his mum?"

"Lily, yeah," Lorelei said with a smile.

The two drank their butterbeer after that, the album put aside. They spoke about the shop, what products the twins were managing through the chaos. Lorelei finally spoke of her mother and how she felt. George listened to everything she had to say, scared to miss a single important detail. He allowed her to cry again, not feeling like she should hold it in. Buckbeak even joined in their hug, causing Lorelei to laugh--an actual laugh.

George grinned when she kissed him, feeling like everything was right in the world, even if it wasn't. He knew at that moment... making a mental promise to Amatheia. He would take care of Lorelei, marry her one day. He would keep her as happy as he could manage. The shop would provide for both of them. He promised he wouldn't ever stop loving her, even if she couldn't love herself. If the war took anyone else from them, they would get through it. Together.

Christmas was eventful. Lorelei was not in the Christmas spirit, for obvious reasons, but she tried to keep a small smile on her face for as long as possible to make it seem like she was enjoying herself. Percy had sent back his Christmas sweater from Mrs. Weasley, so the morning was a bit hectic. Remus was trying to make her feel better, so the children left him to it.

Lorelei went to St. Mungo's with the rest of the Weasley clan this time because it was Christmas and she felt bad for not seeing Arthur the day before. Sirius kissed her cheek and promised he would be fine, but Lorelei did not have a moment to rethink her decision as George pulled her to the car. Sirius gave him a sneer but quickly morphed it to a smile when Lorelei glared at him.

The visit did not last long. They met Neville's grandmother. The boy in question was very nervous when the group saw that his parents were in the closed ward. Alice and Frank Longbottom were driven to insanity by Bellatrix Lestrange's torture methods. Lorelei hugged the boy tight to which his grandmother eyed the girl wearily. Lorelei understood Neville's hatred for the dark witch.

Back at the dark Grimmauld Place, Lorelei was finding herself more and more around Buckbeak. She took care of the animal for a while that night until she heard yelling. Opening the door, she heard Harry calling for her. When she made it down the stairs, she was ushered into the kitchen by Remus. She saw Sirius and Severus Snape glaring at each other and Harry eyeing the two wearily; she stood tall next to Harry.

"What's going on?" she asked, sitting next to her uncle when she noticed his heated glare at the Potion's master.

Snape sneered, "Sit down, Potter."

"You know," Sirius said loudly, "I think I'd prefer it if you didn't give orders here, Snape. It's my house, you see."

Snape sneered at the man. "I was supposed to see you alone, Potter, but Black--"

"I'm his godfather and she's as good as a sister to him," said Sirius, loud and clear for the whole house to hear.

"I am here on Dumbledore's orders," said Snape, "but by all means stay, Black, I know how you like to feel... involved. As for Miss Black, her relationship with Potter is not my concern."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sirius said, now standing and throwing his chair back on all fours.

"Merely that I am sure you must feel--ah--frustrated by the fact that you can do nothing useful," Snape laid delicate stress on the word, "for the Order. The Headmaster has sent me to tell you, Potter, that it is his wish for you to study Occlumency this term."

"Study what?" Harry asked, confusion laced in his tone.

Snape sneered more. "Occlumency, Potter. The magical defense of the mind against external penetration. An obscure branch of magic, but a highly useful one."

After, Lorelei became a bit disinterested. She thought it would be a great idea. Snape was an all right teacher, she remembered from her Defense lessons. Harry needed to protect his mind, however, the jives toward Sirius being locked away was driving her nuts.

"Professor, please," she said after being silent nearly the entire conversation. "Just leave him be."

She was ignored, and Sirius and Snape had their wands drawn at each other faster than she could blink.

"I give up being nice," she said and pushed her chair back as she stood.

Once Snape called Harry arrogant like James, she drew out her wand and pointed it at Sirius. "Sirius, he wants to get you riled up. Just let it be!"

Her words were ignored once more, so she was about to yell out a spell angrily, eyes darkening as soon as the Weasleys burst in the kitchen yelling Arthur was healed. She lowered her wand, relief flooding through Harry's body because he didn't want to see Lorelei expelled for hexing Snape.

"Six o'clock Monday evening, Potter." And then Snape left.