4 | Having the Match

Start from the beginning

I notice that my sister shall like him immensely, and will be completely in love with him. He is a very handsome man who is over six feet with thick, blond hair that curls at the nape of his neck, and he has a long, straight patrician nose. His eyes are of iris-purple that when he smiles, the sides crinkle from laughter and good humor. His lashes are long and spiky, and his jaw is firm with lips that are like perfect buds. I feel an instant camaraderie with Edmund, and I already like him for my dear Anne.

As we enter the banqueting hall, the room is packed with guests with each taking his or her place below the big silver saltcellar at the king's table. The golden spoons, goblets and flagons shimmer in the sunlight. We see the king sitting at his rightful place at the high center, along with his Spanish wife, the Infanta of Spain, Queen Katherine of England. Handsome Henry's eyes are wandering, looking at all the women at the room. The queen acts as if she does not know, and smiles radiantly at all of her guests, though her eyes are cold. They are all too far for me to see properly, but just knowing I am in the same room is exhilarating. Back when we stayed in Spain at the court of my grandparents, we sat alongside them with my parents, sister, and cousins.

"I see that my parents are near where yours are," Edmund comments, smiling down at me. I beam back, and we both start walking towards the table we are arranged to sit at. My parents are seated not far from the king. Mother and Father are talking with two blond couple and I suppose those are the parents of Edmund. I see Anne talking with someone, though I cannot see who. We reach our parents' sides, and they stand to acknowledge us.

"Father, Mother, look who I found lost in the palace as I went out for a moment," he says to the two lovely couple who seem ageless -- which they are, in truth. He touches my hand on his sleeve and I see his mirthful iris-purple eyes shining at me. "'Tis the duke's daughter."

I bob a curtsy, as my Father introduces me to the Fieldings. When Edmund's father passes away, he shall inherit another dukedom from his father. What am I thinking? 'Tis too early to think of that! I ignore my foolhardy thoughts and smile my sweetest smile to them. "'Tis a pleasure to meet both of you, your graces," I say pleasantly.

Edmund's father is a handsome man with blond hair, blue eyes and a thick beard trimmed in the new fashion. Edmund is definitely a miniature of his father, indeed. Although he does not have the beard his father has, but a smooth, defined jawline. "Greetings, my son; Lady Venise. Aye, I am right glad to meet you as well. I am John Fielding," he says to me. "Pray you meet Danielle, my wife. I see you have met my son, so I need not introduce him."

A petite, elegant woman with flaxen hair in a caul inclines her head and curtsies low to me, for she knows I am a princess. In my duty to act as a human, I curtsy to her as well, for she is also a duchess, and I am a daughter of a duke. She smiles at me.

"I am joyous to meet you, my dear. I have met your sister, and I think that both of you are the loveliest among all the dames here." She touches my arm lightly, and kisses her son on both cheeks. She turns around and gasps. "Heavens, where is George?" she inquires her husband.

"Don't worry, my love. He is here, talking to Lady Anne." He calls a name behind him, and my sister brightens as she sees me, then comes with a hug for me. I laugh. "Lady Venise," John says in his deep husky voice. "I would like you to meet my nephew, George Waldorf, Marquess of Dover."

I see a tall man about Edmund's height, who is handsome as him. His hair is cropped short and it is thick, with the color of mahogany. Through his gold mask, I can see that his eyes are of deep burgundy, and he has a straight patrician nose. His lips are firm and full and it is curved up into a gorgeous smile. He is wearing somewhat the same as Edmund's clothes, though it is in dark green and gold. He bows down to me and takes my hand to his soft lips, murmuring my name. He looks up and his eyes are bright. I feel as if there is an electric feeling from my toes up to my beating heart. I smile shyly at him and blush. "Pleasant to meet you, my lord."