3 | A Sister's Change

Start from the beginning

She gasps as she opens her gift that is a topaz gem cut in large squares and tiny diamonds surrounding the sides. "A lovely choker!" she beckons. She then goes to the other gift. With quick hands, she rips the brown paper and sees a beautiful dandelion-colored gown with diamond linings. The bodice is square cut in the new fashion, and its sleeves are long and as it reaches the wrists, its cloth droops, as a lovely style. There is a steepled hennin that is about two feet high with a dandelion-colored veil at the end of the conical headdress.

"Mother, is this from you?" she asks, her beech-colored eyes scintillating.

Mother nods. "I hope you like it, dear."

"Oh, I do I do I do!"

"The choker is from your father," Mother says. Anne looks at father and beams at him. "I thank the both of you!"

Our parents smile at her. They look at me now, seeing that I still have not opened my presents. As a signal, I gently open the first one, my heart anticipating this. "I wonder what this is..." I mutter to myself. As I am done opening it, I smile in mirth. 'Tis a pearl and diamond choker along with a pearl and diamond headband. I raise the choker and flash it in the light, the diamonds twinkling every time I move it this way and that. I hear an indrawn breath, and I look at Anne, who looks away instantly. Hmm. I shrug and carefully place the jewelry back in its black velvet case, and I move on to the other gift: a beautiful silver dress with tiny white pearl seedlings on the chest to waist area, its bodice heart-shaped. Its kirtle is thick, conceiving several petticoats. The skirt's form is like a marshy whipped cream at the back, and at the front it is smooth. The metallic sarcenet fabric is shining as it hits the sun, and the sleeves, as it reaches the wrists, is tight-fitted, forming a V at the end where there is a tiny loop ring for my middle finger to enter. I stand up, still clutching my new gown dearly to my chest and I go to my parents. I hug them both and kiss them each on the cheek.

"Thank you, for the beautiful presents you have given me on my birthday. I shall not forget this one forever."

Father embraces me again and kisses the top of my copper head that smells like roses and jasmine.

"Anne," Mother calls out, "you have grown quiet, love. What is it?"

Anne looks up and smiles. "Nothing, Mother. I am just thinking how lovely the presents are. Thank you."

But only I notice that her eyes are shining, not from joy, but from the tears she is trying to shed from us. I am about to call her out, but she goes up quietly and calls Nina, who is standing at the corner, and helps her gather her new gown and box of topaz choker. She curtsies-for once -- very gracefully to Mother and Father -- and turns without a word, leaving the solar with Nina behind her, holding the presents with care.

"Why does she always get the most beautiful things than I do?" I hear Anne demand.

I don't mean to eavesdrop, for I never am like that, but I was walking down the corridor to our room, and then I heard Anne's ranting and crying. I can't help it if I fear for my sister and feel sorry for her. I also feel ashamed of myself for Anne is right. I notice as well that Father gives more love to me and gives me his attention more than Anne pleads for his. I do get much nicer things than my sister, and I think 'tis not fair. 'Tis not fair at all. I love Anne; dear God, I love my sister dearly. She is my twin; my other half; my twin soul. And I feel bad for her so much. All she wants is Father's love, but I have his love more than her.

"She always has more love than I!" Anne shouts. I hear her pacing back and forth across our big room, her boots padding on the wooden floor, her skirts swishing. "I hate her, Nina, oh how I hate Venise!"

"Hush, child," I hear Nina whisper. "Don't say such nonsense! 'Tis a sin to hate on your own sister. I be worried for the both of you. You two are the closest sisters I ever saw. 'Tis not right that you be ending up hating each other."