Chapter 6 Contest of Knights

Start from the beginning

(X)

The evening was very much restless. Neither slept. Lyse stayed in his room, not going out to eat or catch more of the city. In his mind, he may not have the time. Right now, he stood in a simple cotton shirt and pants, staring at the pile of gambeson ad chainmail freshly prepared and his sword he had carried from his village. He had requested chainmail along with his gambeson, a bit more protection than he had, and to his surprise, it was provided with little fuss or comment. His toes wanted to dig into the wood as he went deep into thought. Only a single candle flickered on the lamp over his desk tucked against the corner of the room.

"I wish I had some enchanted armor," he whispered to himself in a slightly desperate tone. He has sometimes heard of particular armor, much like swords, having unique protective properties. But those are so rare. He doesn't even know why they came to mind exactly. Then again, seemingly every single advantage was rolling in his mind at the moment. Meanwhile, Edlund managed to find himself asleep, although short, with his sword at his side. He has decided that there was nothing really for him to prepare for, so he might as well rest to be as ready physically as he can.

Very early in the morning, they both awoke to the sounds of metal fists pounding at their door. Within a few minutes, they both had put on all of their armor, strapped their swords at their hilts, and were now being escorted away from the tower of the Knights. Again, Lyse saw that same woman downstairs. She was also being led out, along with more than a few dozen other knights who made their way to the exit. Several knights watched them silently leave, their eyes reluctant, as if not entirely anticipating most of these recruits to come back now. Ten other knights flanked them in impressive complete sets of armor. Lyse counted 67 new knights, all from various areas of Liontari.

Not only that, but he saw a few from the colonies, from the Aeros, Odis, and Versk lands, wearing grabs that symbolize their heritage through leather cords decorating their forehead or an owl's feather behind the ear. They did not go back towards the center of the fortress, surprisingly. Instead, they headed deeper into the mountain. They found no one else following this path, and it didn't look trodden. Passing through the Southern gates, they entered a trail that snaked its way up the mountain. The morning sun still hadn't broken the horizon, but a hint of dawn began to lighten the sky. The air got noticeably thinner the higher they climbed, but both managed to power through the harsher environment. However, he could see a few of the other students breathe a litter deeper than before. Seeing the nicely cleaned armor, well-trimmed color, and a few pieces of jewelry, he guessed that a lot of these people were nobles already, and they all seemed to eye out Edlund and Lyse immediately. Edlund looked mostly oblivious, and Lyse tried not to notice but was uncomfortable. Lyse looked behind him one more time, down to the entire city, still grand from his high vantage. The forest hangs around it like a necklace, the walls smooth white in the darkness, lit with hundreds of light. He wanted to see this again. He wanted to be a knight. And more importantly, he tried to save his sister and avenge his family.

"So, where are you guys from?" One of the other knights in training fell back. Although he didn't seem much of a noble at first glance, the lovely black shirt and well-made pants made him distinct from a peasant. He wore a single iron earring in his left ear, partially covered by jet black hair.

Lyse was a little comprehensive giving the conversation, but Edlund did not hesitate.

"BrokenArrow, right on the edge of the Forest of Silence," Edlund stuck his hand out in greeting. "Edlund."

"Gray Mouser," he smiled and gladly shook, then extended it to Lyse. "And you?"

Lyse sighed and shook. "Lyse Opal. Same."

"So you guys lived on the edge; that's pretty tough," Gray commented. "I hear the raids are more intense there. You have to worry about the valley and forest-dwelling monsters. Bet you get good training, though."