Chapter 1

Sophie woke up with butterflies in her stomach. She was starting school again. But this time it was in a totally different new school. 

Her foster parents,  Grady and Edaline, had had to move here because of their work. So, now she was starting school again. 

She thought back to what had brought her, Grady, and Edaline, together. She was 12 when her parents had died in a fire. She became depressed eating less and less and being moved around around from foster parent to foster parent. Grady and Edaline had been the first ones to care. They had brought her to a psychiatrist and helped her with her depression. But, even when she came out of her depression, she had become extremely weak. They had hired a personal trainer for her. One who was a boy. And who used to play football. Professionaly. Sandor.

She had become extremly skilled at the sport, and had even joined the boys team at her old high school, after a long fight (the coach was very sexist).

And now, she had to do it all over again. Show how good she was at the sport, acquire a position higher than just a benchwarmer and actually get in the game. She knew she was good, just not many people wanted to accept that girls were good at the sport.

The problem was, when she was there she had had her best friend Lily through the whole thing. Now, on top of trying to make it into the football team, she had to make friends all over again. Uch, why was life so complicated.

She was snapped out of her reverie by her phone buzzing.

(texts are italicized)

Lily                                                                                          

Hey!

Hope your first day of school is amazing!

Sophie

Thanks. Rlly gonna be lost without you though ;)

Lily

Always here if u want to talk.

I'm too amazing to not be lost w/out me.

Sophie rolled her eyes and headed downstairs for breakfast.

"Hey kiddo. How you feeling?", Grady said.

"Pretty nervous. You guys talked to the principal about football?", she responded.

"Yep! Tryouts are at 4", Edaline told her, "Also, since my sister lives here and has a son your age, I asked him to take you to school. I hope that's okay."

"Ya, that's fine. What time will he be here?"

"Any minute now. His name is Dex."

Sophie mentally facepalmed for not asking. She opened her mouth to ask a question, but was interupted by a honk.

"Speak of the devil. I guess it's off to school with you." Grady said.

Sophie gave them each a quick peck on the cheek and then waved goodbye before racing outside. She started tying her blond hair into a ponytail as she walked up to the grey toyota camry.

"Hi. Thanks for taking me to school. I would have been lost by myself."

"No problem. It's not like I wasn't going there anyway." He grinned.

"It's Dex, right?"

"Ya." He smiled, seeming genuinly happy that she knew.

"I'm Sophie Foster."

"Nice to meet you Sophie Foster."

"Nice to meet you, Dex..."

"Dizznee. Dex Dizznee."

"Well then, nice to meet you, Dex Dizznee."

Without realizing it, they had arrived at school. Foxfire High was an intimidating building, with one big glass building surrounded by towers. Sophie sucked in a breath.

"What's your first period?"

"I honestly don't know. I haven't gotten my schedule yet. I was supposed to show up at the office for it." She frowned. "Do you mind showing me where the office is?", she grinned sheepishly.

"Not at all. To the office!"

Sophie giggled.

She entered the office to find a blond boy being talking to the principal. 

"Geez, Leto, never knew you could be so harsh."

"That's Principal Leto to you. And I meant every word of it, Mr. Sencen." He let out an exasperated sigh.

Sophie coughed.

"Ah... Sophie Foster I presume?"

She nodded. "I'm here for my schedule."

"Yes, here it is. And for football, as I'm sure your parents have told you, tryouts are at 4." He smiled kindly.

"Thank you."

Sophie glanced at her schedule and cringed at the sight of her first class. Even with her photographic memory, she sucked, 100% sucked at chemistry. She had almost blown up the chemistry lab at her old school, and her old chemistry teacher, Ms. Galvin, had caught her clothes on fire just from Sophie's expirements. 

She looked at Dex. "My first class is chemistry."

Dex opened his mouth, but was interrupted by "Mr. Sencen" saying, "What a coincidence, mine is too!"

"Keefe, please escort her there without any pranks. It's her first day of school."

The blonde boy clutched his chest. "Me? Never! I am insulted you would think that. At least not to a pretty girl like her." He winked.

And she blushed. She tried to put her hair infront of her face to hide her blush... and then remembered her hair is in a ponytail. Ugh, she thought, why did I have to put it in a ponytail today?

"To the chemistry classroom!" Annnnnnnd she blushed even more. 

She pulled out her phone, trying to mask somewhat her red cheeks. But, as she was staring at her phone she missed the crack in the floor and tripped. She braced herself for the impact, but never hit the floor.

"Falling for me already, Foster?" He smirked.

She blushed. "Foster?"

"Yeah. Last names are so underrated."

She rolled her eyes. "Fine, Sencen."

"No! Only I get to call people by their last name. You may call me Lord HunkyHair."

"So your self-obsessed too?"

"I mean, who's more goregous than me?"

"Just do me a favor. You're obviously a popular boy. Don't tell anyone else that I play football. It always gets me started off on the wrong foot."

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. You have my word, ma'am." He saluted.

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Bye!", she said, as she walked into the class and then slid into a seat in the back.

She focused on the teacher and then heard a crisp, accented voice.

"Is this seat taken?"