Chapter 34

At dinner the reasoning behind everything was explained one last time, Mr Wang listened quietly while he held Xu Chen's hand tightly. The story had only been finished for two seconds when Mr Wang turned to Xu Chen seriously.

"It doesn't matter, once Mrs and Mr Xu do what they need to, we'll put you on my family register. I already see you as a son so we might as well make it official."

Along with Mr Wang, Mr Ma spoke on the matter.

"Don't worry about anything Xiao Chen. I'll have Mr A settle everything, also Xiao Li too. You two don't need to worry about the money, don't let it be a darkness you hold over yourselves or your relationships."

Both Xu Chen and Wang Li looked at Ma Tian instead of agreeing, it was fine for Mr Ma to say there was no need to pay back the money, but the two boys couldn't agree if the person who actually owned the money felt differently. Ma Tian sipped his water, refusing to touch alcohol for as long as possible, he sighed after his throat was wet and shook his head at the two youths in front of him.

"Dad's right, don't bother. It's not something that needs to be repaid."

After everything was cleared up and the mood of the late dinner lightened, Mr Wang suddenly rushed back to his bedroom; when he came back, his arms were full of the four bags from his shopping trip in Phi Phi. The older man walked around the table handing over a bag to everyone apart from Mr Ma.

"What? Your Husband doesn't get anything?"

"I already gave you something didn't I?"

Mr Ma thought about the night of their "consummation" then chuckled darkly to himself. The other men around the table tried their best to ignore the old men's conversation and opened their gifts. Ma Tian saw that the bag he had seen the canvas in was for Kong da. When the thick fabric was unrolled, everyone saw that it was a large ink painting of an abstract tiger. Kong Da felt the image was fitting for his apartment, as well as further showed the Father and son had very similar taste.

"Thank you Mr Wang."

Wang Li and Xu Chen both wrenched open their bags without bothering to wait their turn and they both turned to Mr Wang happily. Xu Chen had been given an array of spices and herbs along with an expensive knife, while Wang Li was given a wooden lunch box with various snacks and small trinkets surrounding it. Both boy's gave thanks before Wang Li ripped open a bag of colourful goodies and shoved some in his mouth bwfore he handed some over to Xu Chen.

Ma Tian was the last person to open their bag, he was curious as to what his Stepfather would buy him. Inside were a few silk ties which were pretty but what shocked Ma Tian was the thing inside the small wooden box underneath the ties.

He pulled the small box out and inside was a pure gold chain necklace, the design wasn't too showy or tacky, but rather thin and sleek with a dragon head on either end of the chain where they join together. Ma Tian held the beautiful necklace up to his face and stared at the two dragon heads. While Ma Tian began inspecting teh artistry, Mr Wang looked at the young man, speaking softly.

"Your Dad told me why you have two dragons tattooed."

Everyone knew Ma Tian was not the type of person to take things seriously and usually diffuse any serious situation that was going on, after hearing what Mr Wang had to say, Ma Tian scoffed at himself and rubbed his face roughly before giving a light thank you. Kong Da also knew what the two dragons meant to the man beside him as he was the one to tattoo them, leaving the two youths to sit confused.

. . . . . .

The shortened holiday made it difficult to settle back into the routine of school and Wang Li found himself struggling more than the first semester. Both his and Xu Chen's time spent with their husbands had been cut short drastically, leaving them to miss their lovers dearly. After the first week back, Mr Wang was staying the night with his husband leaving his two sons at home.