Chapter 2

Night is approaching, it is almost the end to my shock filled day. I watch as mother close the doors to our hut, and secures it. Afterall, the world is a dangerous place. Anything could happen at any minute, even a murderous animus nightwing trying to take over the tribes (glad that's over). Queen Glory is a great queen, a dragon I look up to. But should I tell her my secret powers? Even my parents don't know yet. Yet...

     What did other animus dragonets do when they found out? Were they as worried as me right now? I slouched in my hemlock, staring out the window of the night sky. I remembered from those old tales and that crazy Darkstalker that an animus would lose their souls each spell they cast. Oops. I guess I should have been more careful. After discovering my powers, I went around enchanting objects, like my tail clasp that almost got stolen, I enchanted it to make me look extra approachable instead of just a weird hybrid.

     The tingling in my claws increased. I know of all the dangers but I feel so powerful...so undefeatable. If only I could use my powers freely without worries. Wait, what if there was a way? Darkstalker could enchant living things like himself or his father. I shuddered at the reason why he enchanted his father. If I could find a way to enchant myself from losing my soul. Is that possible? The moon seemed to twinkle at me, responding to my question. Maybe it is possible.

     I hear noise in my parent's room, talking perhaps. I creep to my door, planting my ears against it.

"She doesn't need to know that!" My mother's voice ringed in my ears.

"But she could have found out today! Sooner or later we have to tell her darling, Darkgem needs to learn." My father responded, I could hear his wings shifting to my mother's side.

"Is it because you suspect..." Pine's voice broke off, a long silence follows  almost convincing me that the conversation had stopped. Then, I noticed footsteps were coming my way. Did they find out I was listening?

     I quickly rush back into my hemlock, faking to sleep. The door creaks open, and my parents continue their conversation in whispers.

"She didn't hear" My father gave a sigh of relief. "But she still needs to know eventually" He continues.

"My poor Darkgem...will it be too much for her? Will she be scared?" Pine gave a frown.

"No, I hope not"

     With that they left, the door closing again as if nothing happened. Their footsteps retreated back to their room.
I have an idea of what they were talking about, and if I'm right, Queen Glory not only has one animus in her tribe, she has two.

Wings Of Fire: Dark Awakensजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें