Chapter 46 : Hasrat

【 46

【 46.

Forty-six

Hasrat 】

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

[ Hasrat • longing/desire ]

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

      MAY WAS ONE of the loveliest months in New York, what with its warm-but-not-hot mornings and chilled-but-not-freezing nights.

That’s the best way any child could describe the weather right then.

“You’ll be turning six next month, right?” Zach asked, sticking his tongue out to lick the three scoops of ice cream filling the waffle cone in his hand. From where he was seated on the grass of the park, a strong breeze blew past.

Scarlett dabbed the tissue paper over the corner of her mouth, where she could feel the stickiness of smeared ice cream. “Yeah,” she grinned. “I was telling my grandma I wanted a mermaid themed party—with a swimming pool and everything.”

Zach snickered and leaned back on his elbows, cool earth and damp grass tickling his skin. “You wouldn’t need a wig at least.”

A sigh fell past Scarlett’s lips. “Very funny,” she grumbled, taking another chunk of her ice cream, “but my shade of red is very different from Ariel’s, so your little redhead joke didn’t work this time.” She smiled triumphantly and bit into the top edge of her cone. “Anyway, it’s not like I want the theme because of Little Mermaid or anything. I just like mermaids.”

“Then it’s going to be a daytime party, right?” Zach stated, nodding to himself. Chocolate, vanilla and strawberry filled his taste buds. “My birthday’s in August, so I still have time to decide. But I think I might go for a Neverland theme.”

“You and your love for Peter Pan,” she scoffed, shaking her head. “Why do you like it so much?”

“I don’t know,” he shrugged, beginning to bite into the waffle cone, “I think I just like everything about the Lost Boys. Seems cool to never grow up.”

“Well, I want to grow up,” Scarlett said proudly, straightening her shoulders and sticking her chest out. “The faster I grow up, the faster I can become a ballerina.”

“I’m going to become a football player,” Zach declared with a huge grin. “Going to become famous and sign autographs for everyone.”