Chapter 01 : Taqdeer

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Part "Her" and Part "Him" were like mini prequels to this book.
this is where the official story starts
please note that there is a time jump - you'll figure out how long the jump is because its mentioned in the narrative :')

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

【 01.

One

Taqdeer 】

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

[ Taqdeer • fate/destiny ]

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

      ROSALINE BONOVICH FEELS her lips curve upwards on their own accord, her eyes following her fingers as they trace the pretty cursive lettering on the box, running along each curve and dip and loop.

Laurie, the writing on the box reads.

She picked that name in favour of the character in Little Women, one of Rosaline’s all-time favourite classics. Maybe she’ll read it to her baby boy one day, when tucking him into bed, and tell her all about his namesake.

Her gaze flutters down, to the small bulge in her stomach, and she places her other hand on the baby bump that’s growing more visible by the day.

Laurie. The name makes her smile. It always does.

She wonders if he’ll inherit her russet hair, or her jewelled eyes. Or maybe it’ll be his father’s ash-brown locks, maybe his gunmetal greys.

Will Laurie have his father’s Roman nose, or a mouth like Rose’s cupid bow? Will Laurie have his father’s taste for white wine and autobiographies? Or will he have Rose’s love for vintage and classics?

A small sigh leaves her lips and she pushes the box further into the shelf, before stepping back and gently shutting the cupboard’s door, cautious to not wake Micah who has a long day ahead of him tomorrow at the court.

She smiles at his sleeping figure, feeling proud at the long way he’s come—from a law intern at the DA’s office to an assistant District Attorney of Chicago himself.

She doesn’t wholeheartedly agree with his views that come from him being someone who prosecutes in court—the main conflict being that there’s a likelihood of him prosecuting an innocent amidst the throng of actually guilty individuals.

That’s what Rosaline believes, anyway. That three guilty can walk free rather than one innocent being falsely accused.

But despite Micah not really seeing eye to eye with her on that, she still hopes he reaches all the heights he’s ever dreamt of. She knows better than anyone that he deserves it. Besides, these tiny differences are what ties them together at the end of the day—that it all comes down to both of them working towards the greater good. Her, as a successful surgeon, and him, as a prosecuting lawyer.