22 - Sang

Axel. His name is Axel. Or, well, apparently he prefers being referred to as "Mr. Toma" by anyone other than his family. To that I said, "Too fucking bad. Axel it is." And now I'm here, standing in the middle of the room, with a total of seven insanely attractive, dangerous men surrounding me. And one little, sleeping boy, of course.

And Owen, or Mr. Blackbourne—yeah, right; like I'm gonna call him that—is just a few feet in front of me. The overwhelming air of perfection that surrounds him makes me nervous, and his lack of emotion makes me even more so. I don't know what's going on behind his iron eyes and black-framed glasses, and that's just something I'm not used to.

Pair his beautiful eyes with a face like personified perfection, a crisp, dark gray suit, and dark brown hair slicked back faultlessly, it's almost hard to look at him. Where the others' minor flaws make them even more attractive, his lack of flaws make him just as so. I've never felt so meager in front of someone before.

"Who do you work for?" Owen asks.

"Myself," I answer without hesitation.

He doesn't seem amused in the slightest. "Liar."

I'm quick to defend myself. "I'm not lying."

"Yes, you are." He crosses his arms, and I mirror his stance.

"And how would you possibly know that?" I huff.

"Everyone has a tell, Miss Sorenson—" I roll my eyes at the title "—and that includes you."

"Oh yeah? Well then what is it, huh?"

I can tell he's getting a little annoyed at the conversation. It's made even more obvious in his almost unwavering tone, but it isn't unwavering. Not completely. And I catch the little tremor, storing the memory away for later use if I ever find it helpful.

"I'm afraid that's information best kept to myself. Now, tell us who you really work for, and I promise I won't kill you right now."

"Kill me? Oh, so now we're making empty threats, I see. Very low of you, bossman. I must say, I expected better." I shake my head, feigning disapproval, pretending that I'm not actually terrified right now. I don't know this man, and I don't know what he intends to do with me. But I do know Corey and Victor—barely, but enough to know they don't want me dead. Though, I can't be too sure they'd ever go against Owen's orders. They haven't spoken since we've entered the room.

None of them have, except Axel and Owen, and briefly Sean and Corey. It's making me even more nervous.

He relents. "Okay, then how about this: you tell us all we need to know, and we'll let you go."

"Mr. Blackb—" Corey starts, only to get cut off by the man himself.

"Quiet, Mr. Henshaw Sr." And the tall blond goes silent. Looking back at me, Owen continues, "This is your final offer, and it's a good one, too. Take it or leave it, but either way, mark my words, we will get all that we need from you, Miss Sorenson."

"Just Sang," I sigh before looking back over at my sleeping brother. Noah has been moved over to the big red-head, Nathan's, lap. While he sleeps peacefully, I hold his and my future in my hands, as well as that of the entire Academy's.

It's a near impossible choice to make: choosing between one child and ultimately the fate of thousands of children in the future, the ones who the Academy strive to save and protect. That's why no one pressures me for an answer. They all just sit, or stand, and wait for me to come to a conclusion.

Do I completely abandon my loyalties and morals and everything I've ever stood for, as well as the liberation and protection of not just prospective children, but adults as well—the people that the Academy was founded to save? And not only that, but do I risk the lives and safety of all who suffer at the hands of these wicked men and the drug they specialize in? Or do I risk the life and safety and future of the only person I've ever truly loved with my entire heart?

The answer seems clear.

"I'll tell you everything," I announce, nodding, as if trying to convince myself that I'm doing the right thing. In reality, I know that I'm not, but I'd do anything for Noah. Anything. "But you have to give me your word. You will not hurt him, you will let us go, and I expect this to be the last I see of you and your family. Deal?"

"Deal."

And just like that, I feel a little piece of myself flake off and evaporate into thin air like it was nothing at all. Truthfully, I don't want this to be the last I see of them. That wicked part of myself shrivels at the thought of not being surrounded by people just like it. People that feed the hate-fire in my heart.

But this is for Noah. And I'd do anything for Noah. Anything.

Even if that means I have to watch the whole world burn. Even if that means I have to throw myself in that fire and burn alongside the men that have stolen a piece of my heart.
______________

Double update, y'all, to make up for being absent for way too long! But I promise I had a reason, and if you want a better explanation, it'll be in the author's note of the next chapter.

My depression and anxiety have been ASTRONOMICAL these last few weeks, so if you aren't up for a super real and honest and sad explanation (or you don't really care, which I totally understand, lol. You just came here to read, and I get it.) then you probably shouldn't read the author's note of the next chapter. But it might help to give you a little insight if you're feeling up to it.

Happy reading, lovelies! The next chapter is extra long!

A million kisses!
- Tori