8 - Axel

"We need an inside man if our plan is going to work," Owen insists, his tone as sharp and his face as emotionless as always—ever since that day...

I nod, then look over to my right to find Sean and Corey. To my left are Owen, Brandon, and Gabriel, who's filling the place of Kota today, as the latter had to watch his little sister with Victor. "I agree. It'll make the getting in and out much easier. We all know what happens if we get caught."

"The police finally catch us and we go to jail," Brandon announces, though it isn't necessary. We all knew what this job meant when we signed up for it, but we did it anyways, for more reasons than one.

Gabriel sighs, "That's really why I'm here, isn't it? We all know I never come to these meetings because I've never been useful in our missions. You want me to be the bait."

Sean shakes his head of curly blonde hair, the dark circles under his green eyes more prominent than usual in the somewhat bright light of the warehouse we've renovated.

"I believe he said 'inside man', Gabe. Not 'bait'. You know we'd never think of you as bait, right? You're perfect for this part of the mission. Without you and your expertise on all things related to art, we wouldn't know what the hell we'd be talking about at this auction. Like I said, you're perfect for the role."

"Not to mention, you're a great actor," Brandon agrees with Sean.

Gabe smiles, his shoulders relaxing a bit. We all know that, despite the fact that he's technically a criminal—we all are—he's still incredibly insecure from all those years of physical and mental abuse and deprecation. Luckily, he's been moved out of his aunt's house and away from all her psychotic boyfriends for about three months now, so he's officially safe. But his mind is already filled with those self-deprecating thoughts. He may be safe from those people, but he'll never be safe from himself.

"Okay," he says simply, glad to know he truly is of great importance to this team and family. Sometimes he just seems to forget that. It cracks my ice cold heart.

"Now, Mr. Henshaw Sr, I'll need you to keep surveillance on this whole operation. I would ask Mr. Morgan to assist you, but he'll be occupied at this time, playing the piano to 'entertain' the guests, which really just means distract them. He's already been informed of his position."

Corey nods absentmindedly, not paying the slightest bit of attention to the co-team-liaison, as if his mind is elsewhere. It's a little strange to see, as Corey is usually one of the most alert and focused in our family.

"Corey?" I ask, putting my hand on his right shoulder to grab his attention. His attention snaps to me immediately.

"Huh?"

My brows crease. "Did you hear Owen?"

His gaze lowers to the floor, cheeks painting themselves pink. I don't think I've ever seen him blush... "No. Can you repeat that, Mr. B?" The only people who call Owen by his first name are Sean and I, and he's only allowed me to do so for about a year now, though I've been co-team-liaison with him for over two. The man has serious issues—hell, we all do—but still, none of us have been able to crack him completely. Not even Sean, and they've been best friends since childhood.

The latter sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose, causing his black-framed glasses to slip a little, making the steel in his eyes appear even sharper, like a blade ready to cut anyone who may stand in his way. "I need you to run surveillance at this art banquet this weekend, just to make sure nothing is amiss. The man we're doing business with will be there. Actually, he's the owner of the establishment."

"All right. I heard you this time." At the look Owen hands him, he shakes his head, chuckles and adds, "I promise." Always so carefree.

"Good. Mr. Henshaw Jr will be posing as a security guard, and Dr. Sean will pose as a buyer, conversing with Gabriel to buy one of his pieces, when really, you're both just scoping out the man from the inside. Mr. Toma and I will be with Corey, overseeing everything goes accordingly. Everyone understand the plan?"