33 | almost famous

"You look like shit, Jens."

"I know."

Liberty wrapped her arms around her. "I'm so mad at you for texting that you had shit to tell me and then getting on a fucking plane."

"I know."

"But you look so pathetic I'll hold off on smacking you." Liberty pulled away from her hug and stuffed her hands in her pockets. She had on a red leather jacket, white t-shirt, blue jeans, and a pair of black sneakers. Her hair was puffed at the top, stiff from hairspray. Tied in a bun at the back. Rebel Without A Cause chic.

Jensen wished that the idea of James Dean didn't make her think of Miles.

"Do you have a class to teach?" Jensen asked. "I can just catch a bus or someth—"

"Absolutely not," Liberty said. "I mysteriously got food poisoning. Couple hours ago."

"But you're still dressed for class?" Jensen rubbed the lack of sleep out of her eyes.

"I think I make a cute James Dean," Liberty said. "And I cancelled when I got your text. I was already dressed."

Jensen wrapped her arms around Liberty again. "Thank you."

Liberty hugged her back. Just as tight. "Have you even slept?"

"No," Jensen mumbled against Liberty's shoulder. It was taking everything in her power not to cry in public. She was still on edge that someone was going to take pictures of her.

"Here's the plan," Liberty said. "We'll stop for coffee. Then ice cream. I'll get out for both, don't worry. And you can tell me everything."

"Can we just go home?"

"We can do that too."

"Thank you," Jensen said. She pulled her jacket as tight as she could with one hand. All she wanted to do was wrap herself up in it and sleep for eternity. If she woke up, ideally there would be a page that her and Miles were both on. That would be nice.

"Do I ask how filming went?" Liberty asked as they walked out of Vancouver International. Jensen could already see the car and appreciated Liberty could tell that she needed to get out of there as soon as humanly possible.

"It was fine."

"Glowing endorsement."

"I really need to tell you something."

"Babe, you can wait until we get home," Liberty said. "I'm not that mad at you."

Jensen shoved her suitcase in the trunk of the car. "Liberty—"

"I'm serious, Jens," Liberty said as she opened the driver's door. "You don't have to."

Jensen looked at Liberty over the hood of the car as she opened her door. "I do. Really. I've been trying to find a way to tell you for months."

Liberty nodded. "Okay."

They both climbed in and closed their doors. Liberty stayed quiet as she started the car and pulled out of the stall she'd backed into. Jensen took a couple deep breaths. It seemed to be all she could manage. There were too many words that she needed to say and Jensen wished she was done with apologies but that seemed to be the majority of the word cauldron in her brain.