FIRST HOUR

The dawn hour in the little town of Draspire was typically filled with tranquility and birdsong. However, today this was interrupted as a hoarse cry sounded. 

A woman panted, her forehead soaked with perspiration and her face flushed with effort. At her side was Miss Aubrey, a young wide-eyed midwife. She clutched the woman's hands, instructing her firmly to, "Push!"

A small, four-wall cottage sheltered the pair. The young mother, stomach round and swollen, sat upon a birthing stool, nearly heaving her guts out.

If Esme Farnum hadn't been currently trying her damnedest to deliver this baby, she would glare at the other woman. She had given birth to five children before this, she was quite aware she had to push. Settling on gripping Miss Aubrey's hand just that much tighter, Esme yelled out as another contraction rippled over her belly.

"Ah!" she panted between her cries.

"Are you ready?" Miss Aubrey asked the woman who, under no circumstances, could vocalize a proper answer. "Is it soon?"

The questions were redundant because Miss Aubrey was already positioning herself. With one hand, she rubbed Mrs. Farnum's stomach, stimulating it. The other hand was spread beneath the woman so the midwife could safely catch the baby when it was successfully pushed out.

The sweltering heat of summer suffocated the air between them, Esme's lovely white nightdress drenched in sweat and sticking uncomfortably to her skin. It was a minor discomfort really.

She gave another cry as a wave of pain encumbered her small body. This was by far the most troublesome birth she had ever endured.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Farnum," the midwife cooed at her belly. "I sent John to get your husband. He should be here shortly."

The words soothed Esme's fraying nerves. Just the thought of her husband coming to her shortly relieved a great deal of pain. She knew when Harry came, just with one single touch, she would feel instantly better. And maybe I'd also be able to finally get this baby out of me! she thought, maddened.

Then —

"It's coming!" Esme exclaimed, bright blue eyes popping wide.

Miss Aubrey was ready, spreading her fingers. "It's alright now, Mrs. Farnum," she reached over and grabbed the woman's hand again, giving the mother a reassuring little squeeze. "You can do this."

With a scream, Esme gave one final push and in the last second of her effort, her pupils bloomed. Black overtook the color in her irises. In one split moment, Esme Farnum's inhumanity was revealed. Amongst a town of mortals, amongst the disguise of a husband, amongst her mortal children, Esme Farnum revealed herself to be no human.

A high-pitched wail filled the air and a second later the midwife was standing over the sweating, panting young lycanthrope lady.

"Mrs. Farnum! Mrs. Farnum!" the young woman shouted excitedly. "Look! Look! It's a boy! It's your baby!"

A bundle was shoved into Esme's trembling hands. As her chest heaved, desperate for breath, she drew strength from her wolf in order to be able to hold her new son. Her pliant, open, panting mouth slowly drew up into a wide smile.

The baby in her arms was bloody, wet, and spongey with blond wispy hair — like his father, she thought fondly — and eyes wrenched so tightly shut Esme found it awfully endearing. She shifted her hold on the babe to one arm as she raised a finger to his face. She trailed it lovingly along one cheek.

Just as she became entranced in this moment, it was ripped away as a man came bursting in through the heavy oak front door. A tall man with wild blond hair and a weathered face stood in the doorway.