Chapter 34: A Solemn Promise

The next morning, Josette was surprised to find Viktor still next to her in bed. She rolled on top of him and kissed his lips.

"Good morning," she whispered as she ran a hand lightly through his dark hair.

Viktor opened his emerald eyes and smiled. He tightened his grip on her so she couldn't escape, and kissed her passionately.

"Mmm... good morning, my love," he murmured in a low, gruff voice, while sensually running his hands up and down her back.

"I'm so happy you haven't left yet," Josette said. "Maybe we can have breakfast in bed."

Viktor gently pushed her off of him and sighed.

"Oh no," Josette pouted. "Let me guess... You're late for work."

Viktor's expression was both pained and apologetic. "I'm sorry... I will make it up to you later."

"How?" Josette arched an eyebrow.

"We could have a repeat of last night," Viktor said teasingly curling one of her loose hair locks around his finger.

"Hmph," Josette scoffed, but then she smiled enigmatically: "I suppose... but there's something else you could do to make up for it."

"What? Just name it," Viktor quickly agreed.

"I visited the Opera House yesterday... with Peter," Josette began. "I didn't get a chance to tell you about it last night... So... here goes. I met the Director, Herr Schiller. He was very kind and accommodating."

"I bet," Viktor scoffed.

"Anyway," Josette placed a finger over his lips to quiet him. "I had a chance to look around, and even test the acoustics— which were quite impressive, I might add."  She paused briefly and then continued.  "After he heard me sing, Herr Schiller offered me a position."

Viktor seemed lost in thought for a while.  He eventually raised his eyebrows:  "What did you tell him?"

"I told him I'd speak to my family first... but, Viktor... I'd love to go back to singing... some day," Josette looked at him pleadingly.  "Perhaps sooner rather than later..."

His eyes darkened briefly.  "Perhaps you should think about it for a bit longer," he finally replied.  "Then again... it's your decision.  I can't very well stop you."  His voice was wistful and he gazed in the distance as he spoke.

"Really? You wouldn't mind it?" Josette sat up, watching his expression carefully.

"I don't know how I feel about it right now.  I'll need some time to consider the situation.  But... as long as you think it's the best thing for our family," he shrugged evasively.  "Of course... the person whose permission you truly need is Lorie. I'm not sure she'd be alright with you being gone after being used to your constant presence.

"I know," Josette sighed. "However... I think if Lorie manages to make more friends, like Delphine, she might be more inclined to agree."

"That's possible," Viktor nodded. "But only she can tell you what she wants."

He then stood up and pulled his pants on. Josette admired his sculpted, muscular body.

"What?" He looked at her sideways, narrowing his green eyes.

"Nothing... you just look very... manly," she complimented him.

"I hope so," Viktor smirked. "I'd hate to think I remind you of a middle-aged woman!"

"Sometimes I can't believe that you're in your forties," Josette continued watching him. "You're certainly... quite vigorous," she wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.