Chapter 18: A New Life in Vienna

Within three weeks of the engagement, Josette and Lorie stepped for the first time into Bartholy Manor in Vienna.  Both of them gasped when they stood in the large atrium underneath a heavy crystal chandelier. They looked up at the impressive center staircase that wound up to the top floor.  Bartholy Manor was three stories high.  It was tastefully designed and decorated in the latest Victorian fashion.  The flooring was made of either rich dark walnut or white marble, and the windows were handcrafted from leaded glass.  Depending on the room, the curtains were either made of delicate lace, heavy satin or plush velvet. The furniture throughout the manor was chic yet comfortable.  It was upholstered in a variety of fabrics with different textures.  Each room had its own theme and color pattern, from the light green predominant in the sitting parlor to the dark brown in the gentlemen's smoking room.  Luxurious thick Persian rugs were scattered throughout, softening the sound of any footsteps. The walls were decorated with priceless oil-paintings or impressive medieval tapestries.  Crystal chandeliers exuded brilliant white light in all of the main living areas downstairs, while free standing lamps lit up the more private parts of the manor in a warm, cozy glow.

"Where do Mama and I sleep?" Lorie pointedly asked Viktor, after a brief tour of the first floor.

"The bedrooms for you, your Mama and myself are on the second floor," Viktor explained. "The boys reside all the way at the top, on the third floor," he pointed a finger upwards.

"Will I get my own room?"  Lorie got straight down to business, making Viktor smile.

"But of course, my dear one," he answered.  "Would you like to see it now?"

Lorie clapped her hands and jumped up and down.  "Yes, yes, please!" 

"Let me get Peter to show it to you," Viktor replied, amused by the child's enthusiasm.

As soon as Viktor mentioned Peter's name, his second son descended the staircase.  He wore a casual but elegant light grey suit, and ran a hand through his raven black hair as he rushed toward Lorie with a beaming smile.

"Peter!  We're here!"  Lorie practically jumped into his open arms.

Peter picked her up and spun her around, making her giggle.

"I am so happy my little sister is finally home!"  Peter kissed Lorie's pink cheeks before setting her back down.  "And that my future Maman is here," Peter turned toward Josette, his emerald eyes sparkling mischievously.

Josette was still speechless, closely studying every opulent thing surrounding her.  When she heard Peter's remark, she shifted her gaze toward him and smiled.

"As am I, my dear Peter," she gracefully held out a hand which Peter promptly took and kissed.

Peter didn't get a chance to say anything more before Lorie latched on to his hand and started pulling him toward the staircase.

"Come, come, show me my room!  Please," she pleaded with him.

Peter shrugged his shoulders apologetically and followed the vivacious little girl up the stairs.  As soon as they were gone, Viktor turned to Josette and placed his hands upon her delicate shoulders.

"Well... what do you think?"  He asked, arching an eyebrow.

"It's.... breathtaking," Josette whispered.  "I never imagined you had such a beautiful house!"

"And now it is your house as well," Viktor gently caressed her cheek with the back of one hand.

"Oh, Viktor... I am... speechless," Josette felt her eyes filling up with tears of joy.  "Thank you."

"You don't have to thank me, my darling," Viktor brushed the corner of her eyes with his thumbs.  "You are the one who will make this place truly spectacular.  It's as though... you were meant to be here... with me."

Josette bit her lower lip as she looked into her fiancée's green eyes.  "I feel the same way," she murmured.  "It's strange... but it's almost as if I already know this house."

Just then, they were interrupted by a deep manly voice.

"Father... Josette... Welcome home!"

When they turned, they were faced with a smiling Nicolae.

"When did you get here?"  Josette asked.  "I didn't hear you."

"That's because you were too engrossed in your conversation with my father," Nicolae winked at her.

He then approached her in his feline way and extended his hand.  When Josette took it, Nicolae drew her into a welcoming embrace, startling her.  She realized just how tall and strong he was as soon as his arms were around her.

"Nicolae... I am so happy to see you," Josette managed to murmur against his chest.

"We've been waiting for you anxiously," Viktor's eldest son answered, slowly releasing her from his grip.

Josette blushed a bit at his intimate tone and gesture.  She then asked:

"Have you?  So... where's Drogo?"  Josette quickly scanned the area around her.

Before Nicolae had a chance to answer her question, she heard a familiar voice right behind her.

"Did you miss me?"

Josette practically spun around, completely startled.  As soon as she did, she saw Drogo's lanky figure casually leaning against a wall, hands in his pockets.  As usual, he wore a smirky expression on his handsome face, but when their eyes met, his pupils darkened dangerously.  Josette felt the now familiar heat rush through her as she watched him approach.

"But... how did you?"  She couldn't believe he had somehow managed to sneak behind her.

Drogo didn't answer her question.  Instead, he grabbed her hand and slowly brought it up to his full lips, never taking his amber eyes away from hers.  Josette shivered when she felt the tip of his tongue run across her soft skin.  She drew in a sharp breath and bit her bottom lip as an uncontrollable desire briefly took control of her, making her legs feel weak.  When he finally let go, Drogo gave her a very intimate, knowing look, making Josette blush.  She instinctively drew her hand away sharply, hoping Viktor didn't notice their interaction.

Luckily, when Josette stole a look toward him, Viktor was busy talking to Nicolae.  Drogo was well aware of her discomfort.  He stepped closer to her, so that their bodies were barely touching, and whispered in her ear:

"Don't worry.  My father always talks business with Nicolae when he comes home from a trip.  Our secret is safe."

He then casually walked past her and joined the other two men, as though nothing had happened.  Josette felt light-headed and slightly nauseous.  She wasn't sure she would be able to handle such encounters on a daily basis.  She put a hand up to her throat, trying to calm herself and slow down the rapid beat of her heart.

When she gazed toward her future husband, she caught him staring straight toward her, a strange, feral look in his green eyes.  Josette lowered her lashes, in an attempt to hide the discomfort she felt at that moment.  What exactly was Viktor looking at so intently?  To her dismay, Josette realized the object of his scrutiny was her hand.... or rather, what it was covering:  her long, bare neck.

For a few seconds, she felt apprehensive, even fearful of him. But then, when her eyes finally met his, Viktor seemed perfectly normal once again.  He walked toward her, a smile on his face.

"My dear, would you like me to show you to your room?"  Viktor offered her his arm.

Josette realized she had been holding her breath.  She exhaled and gracefully accepted.  As Viktor led her up the grand staircase, she could feel Drogo's eyes burning into her back, reminding Josette that her new life was going to be exciting... and quite possibly dangerous.