Chapter 13: Dinner with Two Vampires

"I hope you can all join us for dinner this time," Josette pleaded with Viktor.

Viktor exchanged a quick glance with his sons. Nicolae and Peter immediately stood up, while Drogo remained seated on the floor, next to Lorie.

"I'm afraid Peter and I have a previous engagement," Nicolae addressed Josette, his eyes full of regret.

She shook her head disappointedly. "Of course you do," she whispered.

Peter approached her and took her hand in his. "I am truly sorry to miss your birthday dinner, Josette. I promise you we will have a chance to celebrate together. Sooner rather than later... I hope," he looked at Viktor as he spoke.

"Ready, Peter?" Nicolae had already collected their hats and coats. As Peter retrieved his things, Nicolae also apologized to Josette.

The two brothers left shortly thereafter. Viktor gazed at Drogo, who was still lounging nonchalantly, chatting with his new little friend.

"Drogo, I thought you had dinner plans with... a certain young lady," Viktor addressed his son pointedly.

Drogo looked up insolently. "She can wait... I'm sure," he smirked, making Viktor narrow his eyes, clearly not pleased by his son's response.

"Wonderful," Josette clapped her hands together. "Why don't we all head over to the dining room?"

Viktor followed the Foret family. As he passed by Drogo, he glowered at him and whispered under his breath: "What do you think you are doing?"

Drogo smiled placidly at his father. He stood up and casually strolled into the dining room with the others. Lorie grabbed on to his hand, like they were old pals. She dragged him behind her toward the dining room.

"You'll sit next to me," Lorie told Drogo in an authoritative tone of voice.

Papa and Maman each sat at one end of the long table, with Josette positioned to her father's right. She patted the empty chair by her and signaled to Viktor. "Come here," she beckoned to him. He quietly obliged.

Lorie sat directly across from her mother. Drogo plopped down by the child's side. He sat straight across from Viktor who was still watching him through narrowed eyes as though trying to figure out where this farce was going.

Josette beamed from ear to ear. She had finally convinced Count Bartholy to join her for dinner - something she hadn't been able to do for the past four years. Tonight, it was truly happening!

Simone entered the room carrying a large covered plateau. She squeezed between Lorie and Drogo, and placed it in the center of the table, uncovering it with a flourish:

"Roasted rack of lamb," she announced grandly. "Miss Josette's favorite."

The lamb roast was surrounded by garlic new potatoes. Simone also brought mint jelly as well as horseradish sauce to the table. For drinks, she placed a flagon of red wine by Papa, who nodded appreciatively.

"Looks delicious," Drogo complimented Simone, making her blush.

"It's very fresh. I hope you don't mind it being rare," she told him. "It's how the Mademoiselle prefers it."

"The rawer, the better," Drogo grinned. He then addressed Josette: "Glad to see you like it just the way I do."

Josette answered. "It's the only way I take it." She turned toward Viktor. "I hope that's alright with you."

"Of course it is," he reassured her, patting her hand while giving the lamb a wary eye.

Simone proceeded to serve the meal, starting with Josette. When she got to Viktor, he asked for a small portion.