FINALE [PART III]

Start from the beginning

Deep breath. Again.

I start at a placid pace and let the keys flutter under my slightly quivering fingers.

And the chord progression flow through my fingers like I'm possessed by the harmony itself.

***

Josh's Pov:

She's sensational. She just channeled all the nervous energy into tense emotions driving her forward.

"Karen's gonna win this." I say to Beth under my breath.

She takes my hand and I smile at her gratefully.

Despite the nervousness I'm suddenly experiencing after my performance, I manage to return the smile.

It was natural for me to be apprehensive about who would win even though I'd promised myself to be a good sport about it.

But how far could compressing my reaction go?

My phone chimes suddenly and I click open the screen to view a new message.

I cannot believe my own eyes as I shake my head at the unaccounted for reveal before me.

What are the odds?

***

Jared's Pov:

The auditorium listens mesmerized and I feel the rhythm speaking to me from under the surface.

I rest my eyes on the pure and demure figure seated at the piano, her stature poised in contrast to the nervousness she'd been harboring yesterday.

Her eyes betray no fear and she looks up a little and catches my unwavering gaze on her. Karen sends me a fleeting yet shy smile.

She has nothing to feel inferior about.

She is gorgeous.

Exquisite in fact.

An invaluable angel in human embodiment.

And she's mine.

After everything we've been through, I'm still holding onto tightly to the girl I love with all my heart.

***

Mackenzie's Pov:

I spectate Karen's solo from the back of the auditorium before I leave.

Everything got back to normal today.

Monday.

The hallway is immersed with laughter and chattering like nothing happened.

The oblivious and unaware faces around me flicker past me like unreal manifestations of a utopian realm I can never exist in, not even reach remotely.

I feel an envious wistfulness towards them.

They lead dormant, quiescent lives.

If I'd thought my life had been a total mess before, this second wave of hopelessness should've sent me off the edge.

Like we didn't lose someone. Another bright future obliterated completely from the Earth.

The locker's adorned with sorrowful messages and photographs.

What's the point?

The former possessor of this locker won't be able to see it.

Are they just embellishments of our regrets too?