gu

The Jin clan's reception room was packed. All the clans were gathered this evening. They ate, laughed, enjoyed dancing and singing. Zizhen was accompanied by SiZhui and Jingyi, they passed the time making fun of the latter's cheeks which turned red each time the clan leader approached. Yet although laughing at JingYi's confusion and SiZhui's frustration at the fact that WenNing couldn't join the festivities, his attention was focused on someone in particular. A clan leader in the gray robe, hiding his discomfort behind a fan. He couldn't go and speak to him in public, the social scale didn't allow them. He should wait, wait for that moment towards the end of the evening when Nie HuaiSang always ended up disappearing.

    It was a few long hours after the moment came in the form of a HuaiSang hiding his face behind hisfan, suddenly disappearing from the rest of the world. It is as if hehad evaporated. ZiZhen was always fascinated by the ease with which the clan leader managed to conceal his presence, to be forgotten, tobecome insignificant. Invisible to everyone except the disciple. He quickly greeted his friends before following his target.

    He found him walking slowly through the gardens of the Jin clan. For a moment ZiZhen wondered if it was right to interrupt him. He seemed so sad, so melancholy, a poor indistinct figure dragging his pain. Seeing him like that broke his heart, he let go of the idea of ​​provoking what seemed to him to be a double personality, and decided to take a softer approach.

    "Clan chief Nie, what a coincidence!"

    -ZiZhen OuYang, greeted HuaiSang while the youngest bowed. I don't remember ever seeing you walking around in the gardens of any clan.

    -I ... thought that I couldaccompany you ...

    -Do you not have other disciples to spend time with?

    -How to spend it with a clan leader would be a less suitable activity. "

    HuaiSang let out an inconspicuous sigh before resuming his walk, followed closely byZiZhen. They appreciated for a moment the fresh breath of the breeze marking the middle of the night. The spectacle of the flowering gardens with striking spray. The scene was abundantly illuminated by the round moon and all its stars.

    "I have heard that several complicated cases have been settled by you.

    -I am fortunate to be accompanied by a lot of great cultivation chiefs.

    -Some are very mysterious. Wesay that...

    -I think Wei WuXian taught us that 'we say that...' can be very dangerous.

    -But I'm sure ...

    -Zizhen! interrupted the clanleader again, feeling his patience dangerously eroding. Once and for all. What do you want?

    -I want to know who you are. "

    Again he saw it, that sparkle in Nie HuaiSang's gaze, as furtive as usual. Almost a specter that took the place, for a millisecond, of the clan chief. Unveiling him like the man he really was and whose every side ZiZhen wanted to know.

    "Why?

    -I do not know. See it as a misplaced curiosity. Or as a sincere interest.

    -You can't have both.

    -Which one would attract your favors? "

    HuaiSang watched him for a moment. ZiZhen stood up, his head held high, his eyes secure, never faltering. He seemed so brave, so strong. Far from what he was when the world was still radiant and its laughter joyful. When his brother was there. And far from the man he had become. He envied him, as he pitied him. He loved him, as he hated him. No romantic love or evenfilial love. He liked to see him so young, so energetic, he liked tosee him do stupid things, make his father get crazy. He liked to seehim get punished, then start all over again. He liked to see hisheart overflowing with life, when the hole in his own heart never seemed to close.

    "Your friends must surely be waiting for you.

    -You did not answer my question.

    - Answer mine first. "

    He put his fan down,straightened his posture, the glare returned, and this time stayed. HuaiSang appeared to be a completely different man. Dark, dominant, an icy aura was flowing around him, causing a slow shiver down ZiZhen's spine.

    "Why do you want to "know me "? And if you succeed, would you only be able to bearthe load that represents OuYang ZiZhen? Do you even know what you arecommitting to? What changes will you undergo?

    -I...

    -Here is my question. Are you sure, you want the answers to yours? "

    Before even realizing it HuaiSang had already disappeared in a clap of gray dresses and the shadow of an icy aura and as dark as the darkest of nights.