Oblivious

I raced outside with Ann as I hugged her goodbye

"Bye, Lollipop, I'll see you tomorrow."

Her grandmother was waiting for her in the parking lot as she grabbed Ann's hand.

I looked around for Evie's car, but I didn't see it.

I sat down on a bench in front of the school to wait.

And wait I did.

Mrs. Penelope came out and saw me, "Lollipop, would you like for me to take you home?"

Mrs. Penelope is very nice to me, however Darry told me never to get in another persons car.

I asked her, "What time is it?"

The school bell rang at 3:15.

She looked down at her watch and said, "It is 5:30."

That sounded like I've been waiting awhile.

She said to me again, "I can give you a ride home it's not a problem my car is parked over there."

I looked up to see a silver car it looked really expensive.

Mrs. Penelope must live on the Soc part of town.

I finally gave in showing her the way home.

When we got there, she surprisingly followed me inside which I found odd.

I opened the door and said, "I'm home."

Steve and Evie were on the couch, and I really couldn't tell what they were doing.

Once they heard my voice, they scooted away from each other turning red in the face.

Ooookayyy?

I hung my backpack up and said to Evie, "Thanks for picking me up by the way."

I walked in to the kitchen but there was no sign of Darry or Soda.

"Kid, your brothers are working late and Ponyboy and Johnny went to see a movie."

Another movie? That's like the third one this week!

Mrs. Penelope walked in closing the door, "I'm Lollipop's teacher. When will her parents be home?"

Steve stood up, "They're dead."

I nodded my head as she looked at me.

"Oh, dear, I'm terribly sorry for your loss."

I shrugged.

"Well, who has been watching after Lollipop? I know for a fact it isn't you two."

I spoke up, "These are my friends, Steve and Evie. They hang out here a lot."

It's just this time nobody was home.

They had this whole house to themselves.

Should I tell Darry about it?