Summary

The reader is the first of the Maryland Minotaur's intended victims, many more following in the months after her miraculous survival. He is a gruesome killer, choosing to gore his victims with a severed bull head that he uses to both conceal his identity, and create a terrifying new one. After witnessing the killer in action and surviving his brutal attack, she is urged by the insistence of her hysterical and rather suspicious mother, to seek therapy with non-other than the notorious psychiatrist Dr. Hannibal Lecter. The doctor, it seems to the reader, (as she has decided after just a few sessions) is simply too perfect to be real, and too earnest to be entirely innocent himself. Hannibal however, is like a mortal Adonis, and she, a sweet and beautiful Aphrodite is weak to his mysterious charm and almost ambrosial appeal. He draws her in, and taking into account the inevitability of a kiss, a life, a death... She never even stood a chance. She falls hard as she is swept up into Hannibal's world of finery and elegance, and their romance blossoms in sophisticated passion. The reader, under his enigmatic influence, begins to lose sight of herself and starts becoming the woman that Hannibal, unbeknownst to the reader, has been grooming her to be. He plants dark and violent thoughts in her head, uncharacteristic of her kind and harmless demeanor. The reader, however, is smarter than she gives herself credit for, and acting on her suspicions she gets help from her new friend; Will Graham, the special agent who she's helped with a few murder cases on more than one occasion. Will is convinced that she is just like him, a tortured soul with a strange gift... the ability to empathize with anyone. Except, the reader's imagination it would seem, comes nearly without any price at all. She consults on a few cases with Will, since she had attended The Academy as a trainee. (Though she was rejected just as Will had been) She helps him with different perspectives, and, after some encouragement from Jack Crawford, makes sure he maintains a safe distance between him and the various killers. Will is enamored with her from the start, and though she won't admit it yet, she is as well. To Will, the reader is his only light in years spent in darkness, she is his hope, his desire, his long-awaited other half. She may very well be the only one who understands him, and she certainly holds the key to him understanding himself. As the reader's growing fear of Hannibal throws her into Will's arms, she finds herself falling deeper in love with him. A love, far purer, and sweeter than any she had shared with Hannibal. If that is even what she felt for him. To her, Will is without fault. He is perfect. An angel, in a world of devils, with their beautiful promises and terrible lies. He is Sunday mornings spent warm and close, in a pile of dogs, sipping hot cocoa. He is thick flannel shirts and peppermint aftershave. He is long walks in the woods and fly fishing in the afternoon sun. He is irresistible and good Leander, and her Hero's heart longs for him. He is good, and kind, and funny, and real... Where Hannibal is mysterious and elegant, charming and sensual. He is red wine and classical piano. He is dark, and lustful. He is the embodiment of desire, giving her only fleeting tastes of a life she didn't even know she wanted. He is a quiet waltz in front of a blazing fireplace, reciting sonnets while exchanging sweet kisses. He is forbidden love, and the novelty of disobedience. Yes, she loves Will Graham. And she loves Hannibal Lecter. But when all is said and done, will she dance with the Devil, or fall for the hero?