Chapter 14. Frittata

A mere 28 hours, give or take, separates you between your dinner with Hannibal Lecter, and you are in desperate need of a wardrobe update. Especially since Hannibal's last demands were that you wear something 'risqué' to dinner. You aren't particularly happy about this request, but the implications of which are decidedly too tantalizing for you to reject his invitation- and even though you know it isn't sexual in nature, you can't stop thinking about the way his eyes will most likely trail up and down your body when he sees you all dolled up. The way his breath might hitch when he sees your collar bones for the first time. The tops of your shoulders, your bare thighs, your cleavage.

You have to steady your breathing for a moment and clear you mind of your heated thoughts before you go back to examining your closet. You soon come to the comical and rather uncharacteristic realization that you have absolutely nothing to wear and call up Beverly for an impromptu shopping trip downtown.

Bev is more than enthusiastic about your proposal and agrees immediately, with the condition that her longtime girlfriend Samara could accompany the two of you. Of course you agree to this, as well as her slew of ideas for various must-visit boutiques- a few of her favorites that she'd been meaning to take you to for quite a while.

"Seriously Y/N, I've been asking you to go shopping with me forever." She says, emphasizing forever with the intensity and ardor only an ex high school drama club devotee could manage. Though Bev's high energy is something you often find hard to keep up with, her thespian soul is one thing you absolutely adore her for.

"What changed your mind?" She asks and you scramble for a little white lie to tell her instead of the shocking truth that you know for a fact would definitely not be received well. A dinner engagement seems a reasonable enough cover, so you swallow your pride and stumble through your bullshit, excuse, rather clumsily if you're being honest.

"I uh... I have a dinner date... Friday night." You say, slowly stumbling over your lie while waiting for the theatrical gasp from Beverly that you know is coming.

"Oh. My. God." She says, pausing between each word to convey her comical surprise. "Tell me everything. Who is he?! What's his name? Where does he live? What car does he drive? What's his credit score? Low? High?" You suppress a laugh as she continues with growing vigor, but nevertheless total seriousness.

"Does he have a criminal record? Because Y/N, honey, you know I'm free to do a little digging if you want me to." You laugh and shake your head, silently wondering why credit score had come before criminal record.

"Thanks but no thanks, Bev. I think this one's a safe bet." You say and hear her sigh over the phone.

"If you say so. It's your funeral- there's a lot of creeps out there, babe." You giggle and agree wholeheartedly but assure her of your safety nonetheless.

"I'll see you at four, okay? We'll meet at Bosco's." You say and she quickly agrees. Bosco's is the small corner store downtown that's often frequented by Bev and her dancing groupies as they stop for bottled water on their way to a secondary club. You seldom accompanied them, but on the rare occasions that you were reluctantly brought along with them you always appreciated the respite at Bosco's before the proverbial "boot and rally."

"I'll see you there chica." She answers, and hangs up to let you get ready and prepare yourself for a long, and sure to eventful evening.
~ ~ ~

"How about this one, Y/N?" Beverly asks you hopefully, holding up yet another thigh high cocktail dress for you to inspect. You'd told her multiple times already that you weren't looking for anything too revealing, but with each neckline that plunged further downwards you'd noticed yourself losing conviction and had given up altogether.