Chapter Twenty

Eydis

There was a wedding ceremonial dress on Eira's throne, I say her throne because I did not want it. The gold dress of fine silk and velvet was a beauty unlike I had ever seen, but I feared I was not worthy of it. I touched the sleeve admiring the detail of the stitching. "You will wear it well," Thorsten said from behind me.

"I will not wear them." I laughed. "I am not a Queen."

"You will be." He took my hand in his, I loved his boldness. In the hall of the King, he kissed my hand and pulled me closer. His embrace was soft and craved. I melted into him, trying not to think of any of the event set for the next few days.

"You come to tease me while I fall apart."

"Quite the contrary, I come to make sure you are not falling apart."

"You are too late." I touched his face. "I am not going to marry him."

"I am to Ireland." He said quickly.

"Is it Meili?"

"No, I am leaving because, in Ireland, I have men. Geoffrey has kin. We can build an army and ready ourselves."

"For what?"

"I do not want to be a soldier my entire life, I want a life and a place to call mine. There is a place I want to conquer. And once I do... I will return to you."

"Thorsten, I beg of you, do not leave me with him."

"I can take you with me," he smirked and kissed my temple. "We can leave at first light, and Meili would never know where to start. But I know this is not in you, you are not eager to leave here."

"I will follow you anywhere."

He shook his head. "And what about Erik?"

"He can come."

"Erik is months old." He paused. "We are traveling high seas, traveling into lands we know nothing of, he would be vulnerable."

I stepped back, looking up to Thorsten. "These are things that we can handle when the time comes," I said. "I want you."

"Eydis."

"Thorsten!" My voice shook. "You are telling me nothing but reasons that you do not want to remain here."

"You are not listening."

"I hear you clearly."

"Eydis, do not be stubborn about this, I am doing this for you. And what good would it be to voyage there and die? think clearly."

"If you leave me here, Meili will marry me. He will make me his puppet, make me answer his every beck and call."

"Then tell him no." Thorsten laughed. "the plan was never for you to come with me. We have discussed this many times. Become the Queen. Lead. Rule."

"Live miserably."

"The misery is a choice." he rebutted.

"I have never chosen misery in my life, Thorsten, it has always found a way to me."

"I wish not to leave you, but Meili will not allow this to continue. If I remain, he will banish or kill me." He whispered. "Allow me this time to find our forever, and I will return to you."

"As if it was a choice." I pushed him aside. The tears rolled down the sloped of my cheeks as I rushed to the chambers. I waited for minutes for Thorsten to come to me, but there was nothing, only silence until sleep found me.

Erik's tiny hands rested on my face, followed by him resting his head on my cheek. I didn't know who had brought him to me, but the comfort he provided woke me from a nightmare I wished I could unsee. "Erik." I sang.