Dr. Gaster will see you now

Start from the beginning

This was unfair.

"Mr. Gaster- he's been remembering things." You urged the bespectacled monster as he rubbed his temples for one cognitive thought that would make sense of this. "He's been remembering things in the past- surviving in Sans." "Of course he does, that's standard." He grated before sending a pointed look towards the skeleton in question. "What do you remember? How long have you been remembering? What about the duration? Do you get lightheaded-?" A continual bombardment of questions came forth. Sans shrinking back until you interrupted. "Why don't you tell him what you remember and then we'll work from there." You sent Gaster a pointed look which he returned, unapologetic.

"Uhhh... I remember restaurants and a lot of shooting is all I can say." Sans chuckled, spine slouched against the office chair. "Any soul palpitations?" Gaster quipped, clipboard at hand- staring expectantly. Sans' sockets went buggish. "Uh... could we talk about this more in private doc?" He flushed, Gaster tutting. "Nonsense- what ever you can say to me, you can say in front of her majesty respectfully." Sans grumbled out a 'yes' that made Gaster smirk, a sliver of his former self shining through. It was quickly dashed by a quizzical frown that emerged across his features. "You're not meant to be having this much of a memory resurgence in such little time... unless- what time did you say you arrived in the surface world?" "Uh, Tuesday last week." "Never mind- the memorial rate is unusually fast in your case." Gaster concluded, scrawling something down.

"What's that meant to mean?" You frowned, an etch of concern. "It means, my dear (y/n), that he will have full functioning memory of his entombment within a week." You both stared at him, his blunt statement sinking in. "Now- how about some tea?"

"It's been a while, hasn't it?" Gaster spoke lowly as you helped prepare the tea in the ramshackle kitchen- Sans wandering around the lab aimlessly, poking things and laughing at random intervals. "Nows truly not the time for small talk Mr. Gaster! Just what in Sam Hill did you mean back there?" You hissed. "I simply meant what I said my dear- the livelihood of his memories will be restored. from his time hosted in Sans' body." You opened your mouth- "Hey doc? I don't wanna come across as rude but do you have any ketchup in this joint?" Sans peered around the corner, endearing smile aimed at you. You flushed under it.  "I see you still have repulsive taste- and here you were from the original line. How pitiful..." Gaster sighed mournfully. "There's sachets in the drawer to your left." He motioned, Sans' sockets honing in on its condiment target.

"Now then-" Gaster cleared his throat as he swept loose papers aside from the table, sheets crumpling slightly as he set the tea down. "I'm sure you've been made aware of the other... 'visits' we've made-" "Sans mentioned it, yes." You affirmed as you sat amongst the clutter. "Well if this is what we have to go off-" He began, pointing at Sans squirting ketchup in swirls across his tongue. "That thing- We'll have twenty two more cases of dimensional apparitions closing in on the city with retained memory. Wether they pursue you like this one or not is a mystery." You choked on your tea, herbal brew burning the back of your throat. "H-He's not—!!" "Oh, do forgive me. You had me worried there for a moment. I often worry my brother won't... won't—" he struggled. "Make it back up to us." He finally sighed.

You only nodded, touching his hand comfortingly- "I know exactly how that feels." He looked up." "I only imagine you have it on the worse end of the spectrum- you're his fiancée in more important terms." Sans' skull turned. Fiancée? You told him you were married to him. Did this mean he still had a shot?! He fist pumped out of sight. Yes! Opening up a celebratory sachet, he tuned out the conversation and replaced it with a fanfare- you were still technically on the market! Did this mean... he could pull moves? He grinned. No holding back. He'd pull out all the stops.

Oh god— THE CHEESY ONE-LINERS! He held back a grin. This was going to be— "Awful, just awful to be apart for so many years." "It's been considerably better these past few months- it gives me time to miss him before he comes back!" You beamed optimistically. Gaster only smiled pitifully. "That's all one can hope for I suppose. How has life been in the palace my dear?" You shrugged. "It gets lonely- Papyrus has been cracking down on security measures but he's been giving me more freedom than usual I suppose..." you pondered. "I still miss Frisk though." You deflated, staring down at the blue brew as you tapped the rim of your cup.

Gaster hummed, cusping the warm porcelain sides. "He was getting restless as most young boys do... It has probably served him for the best- he's out there living a life of peace. He was always a pacifist that one- always willing to flaunt the gun but to never shoot. I'm sure Sans' passing gave him that window to leave it behind him." "He left without saying a word— well, he was like that but—" Gaster only chuckled. "I just wish we could've said goodbye properly..."

"Speaking of properly-" Gaster muttered, rising from his seat as he fumbled out of the room, trailing off. Sans pulled up a chair next to you, still siphoning the sachet till Gaster flourished into the room again, kneeling besides you. "I wanted you to have these." He whispered, pressing a set of keys flat against your palm. You stared down at them, puzzled. "I don't..." "I had the manor locked up and taken off the market so I could give these to you when the time was right." He smiled fondly, closing your hand around them.

"I'm pretty sure Sans saw a future with you in there- wether or not you can have children to roam the place is beyond me- but whatever you may do, I wanted to give them to you, even as a means of escape if necessary. Seeing as you're the most responsible, I thought I'd pass them onto you." You did your best to bite back the well of prickling tears. "M-Mr. Gaster... I don't know what to say....!" He simply held you. "Don't say anything my dear." You sniffled into his shoulder as he murmured from atop of your head, reassuring himself more than anything as Sans watched on.

"He'll be back."

(A.N: Hi guys- I'm so sorry that took so long but I am back! Alive! I hope you enjoyed this chapter— something squeal-worthy is coming in the next chapter so prepare yourselves! Love you guys! Hope you're all doing wonderful!)