The sports banquet turns out to be a really nice night. Matt's parents made me feel so comfortable and I never felt put on the spot. I have to credit Matt for sticking by me the whole night too - except for when he's up accepting his award. I've heard horror stories of girls being left alone with their boyfriend's parents on purpose. Like their boyfriend's just left them to fend for themselves. The thought makes my stomach churn. Cara and I sit next to each other at the round table and it's nice to be there together.

Matt's speech is short and sweet and I take lots of photos of him, because I'm so excited for him and he looks good up there. I still get giddy inside when I remember that that's my boyfriend. Before we leave, Matt's mom wants a photo of the two of us with him holding up his award. We take a few photos that his mom deems "gorgeous" and she then gushes how she can't wait until prom next week when she can take even more photos of us.

"Julie, sweetie, can you tell me what your dress looks like? I can't wait to see the two of you. Oh I just know you guys are going to look perfect," she clasps her hands together under her chin.

I giggle, "Well, I want to keep my dress a surprise from Matt, but I can tell you the bodice is silver crystals and the skirt is a light purple, like lavender color, in a satin-y material," I tell her in a whispered voice.

"Mrs. Collins, it is stunning. Just wait!" Cara adds in.

"Oh my, it sounds so pretty! I can't wait," she beams at me and I feel so happy and accepted. It's always a nice thing to feel like your boyfriend's parents like you.

The car ride home is extremely relaxed compared to the ride over when I was nervous. We have the windows rolled down a crack for the warm breeze, but not too open because ew, bugs.

"You seemed to hit it off with my mom tonight," Matt glances over at me with a happy smile.

"Yeah, she was so nice to me all night. She's really excited about us going to prom together. I think she's going to take about 200 photos of us," I laugh.

"It's highly probable," Matt nods, knowing his mom.

I shift my body to turn to face him as he drives. "I can't wait either. Just think, finally a dance where we're actually each other's dates."

"Who knew that would ever happen."

"Right? At the rate we were going," I shake my head with an amused look.

"We just needed to go at our own pace," Matt says with the tone of a wise old man who's been through the trenches.

"Yup. And I wouldn't have it any other way," I lean over and kiss his cheek as he continued to drive us home.

****

I can't believe that prom is tonight. It's so crazy that senior year is coming to an end and that I'm ending my high school career with the most perfect boyfriend and no clear plan for the future. Two things I would never have even considered to be in the realm of possibility a year ago.

After some persuasion, the school administration is allowing seniors to take the day off from school today to get ready for our big night. The girls and I have hair, nail, and makeup appointments booked throughout the day. The nervous energy coming out of me is buzzing.

First up is our nail appointment. While I get my pedicure, I scroll through my phone looking at hair style photos making sure I don't want to change my mind on the style I've chosen - side swept loose curls. The whole nail salon is filled with teenage girls getting ready for prom. A few girls I recognize from our school and some are from neighboring schools that also have prom tonight. When it's time for me to get my manicure, I decide to get a classic french manicure. Sure, it's a little old school and traditional, but it's also classic and I won't get tired of looking at the color over the next week or so.