Ch. 14

As I stand around and watch this impromptu singing and dance party in what is normally a science lab I can't help but laugh and dance around as people perform. Some are lip synching while others are singing at the top of their lungs. When the fake microphone gets passed to me, I know just what I want to sing.

"What'll it be Julie?" Andy, the guy running the music, asks me.

"Play 'Lonely' by Diplo/Jonas Brothers, please!" I point to the board as I say this like I'm a game show host saying "Show me 'Lonely', Andy!". Everyone is already cheering me on as I wait for the music to start. I grip the fake microphone (a bundle of dry erase markers bunched together with a rubberband) and take a deep breath to settle my nerves.

The music starts slow and I start dancing a little in place. Moving my shoulders and bopping my head until the lyrics start. I start singing and my voice is a little shaky at first, letting my nerves get the best of me. But as more of the crowd sings along with me and claps their hands to support me, I start singing louder and dancing around the room without a care in the world and it feels incredible to just let go and sing my feelings out loud.

(Author's Note: Song is linked below if you want to listen while you read!)

"Wanna ride with you til the world stands still
Like there's no one else but us

Wanna dance with you til we can't stand up
Til we both give in to love"

I have the time of my life singing and dancing around the room. I kick my heels off and start jumping from desk to desk while I sing. I chose this song because it's catchy, but also I thought the lyrics matched perfectly with how I was feeling at the moment - not that anyone in here needs to know that. When the song ends, everyone is yelling my name and clapping. I'm out of breath from all the jumping and singing at the same time - how do professional singers do it? I take a bow, "Thank you! I'll be here all night!" I laugh and pass the bundle of markers back to Andy. As I walk over to find my shoes that I had kicked off, I high-five people who shower me with praise and things like 'Awesome job, Julie!", "Never knew you could sing, you were great!" and other nice things that fill me up inside and help take my mind off the fact that Colleen probably still has her talons dug into Matt on the dance floor right now. I put my heels back on and see a familiar face by the door. Matt was there with a silly grin on his face and a look of disbelief. I wasn't sure I wanted to go over and talk to him. Would he know I was singing the song because of how I was feeling about him? Would he be upset that I told him I'd be waiting for him at the table and I had disappeared?

I slowly made my way over to him, bracing myself for whatever reaction he would have.

"Wow, you were amazing. I never knew you could sing like that. You've been holding out on me!" Matt smiled and took my hand in his.

"Yeah, I can carry a tune," I laughed. "It's just for fun. Kyle told me they were doing this in here so I wandered over to check it out. I thought I might be back at the table before you. You were gone for a while."

Why did I have to say that? I couldn't just let it go. But, you know what? I have every right to be annoyed. Colleen interrupted my dance with Matt and then he stayed on the dance floor with her for at least 3 or 4 songs. Did he expect me to just wait around for him?

Matt looked a little defeated and hurt, "Yeah, I'm sorry about that. Colleen kept me on the dance floor with her for two songs and then when I tried to go back to the table, she kept wanting to take photos with me. Then, she asked me to take some photos of her with some of the other girls. It took me forever to escape."

"Oh. Well, it's okay. I'm not mad or anything. I just decided to check out what was going on in here. So here I am," I sounded colder than I had meant to.