She wanted to enjoy things as they were

Start from the beginning

The two friends talked about other topics for the rest of their lunch break. Today Sakura and Sasuke were leaving the village. They were scheduled to leave at sunset so Sakura decided to spend the time left at the clinic and have lunch with her friend. She knew that they wouldn't be able to see each other for a while.

She couldn't understand why Ino wasn't ready to forgive Sasuke. She was the only one left in the village who had a lot of animosity towards him and it was hurting Sakura. She wanted people to see him like she was seeing him.

"Ok, we should go back to the clinic. These kids made it very clear to me that they didn't want me to take you away from them for too long, especially since you told them you were heading out on mission today."

Sakura agreed and the two friends made their back to the clinic. It felt good to be surrounded by these children again. They were so joyful despite what they had been through and she respected that. She was so glad that the psychological support helped them overcome parts of the trauma they had faced at such a young age. Things were finally heading in the right direction.

After all the children decided to go out to play Sakura was alone in the room. She smiled at herself happy to see the progress they were making with the mental health clinic. Next week they were going to open a new section so they will be able to welcome more children in the future.

The door barged open and the kunoichi could see a little child strolling her way towards her. She smiled when she recognised her, her name was Yukata and she was only eight years old.

"Sakuuuuuuura-chan!" she started running, her arms open towards her but Sakura stopped her before the little girl could hug her.

"Yukata, I heard that you made a big mess yesterday. What happened with the paint you used?"

"You know I... the bucket was there."

"But there was a lid on it, wasn't it?"

The little girl pouted and nodded.

"So how did you open it?"

"There was a space and... yeah and then, and then we painted."

"You painted the walls, your face, your friend's face and the entire floor."

"No! That's not true!"

"So what happened then?"

"I looked at it."

Sakura was starting to laugh now. She learned this morning that yesterday Yukata and her group of two friends found a bucket of white paint used to paint the walls in the new section of the clinic. The little group played with it and covered an entire room with it, including their face and bodies. It was such a big mess that they had to call a special team to clean it up. She didn't mind much, they were just playing but the little girl could've gotten seriously intoxicated if she had eaten it.

"If you only looked at it then how did it end up everywhere then?"

"I painted."

She was laughing out loud now. It was so easy to catch a child lying. She put her hand on her head.

"It's alright don't worry just be careful not to eat some or you'll get sick. Give me hug now!"

They were embracing each other when she heard someone cough. Sakura looked up wondering whom it could be especially since she the nurse who was taking care of the children had to go to buy something. Her eyes met some dark eyes that she new very well. She smiled instantly.

"Sasuke-kun. Is it time already? I'm sorry I was busy I didn't see the time. Alright Yukata I need to go now..."

"No!" Her little arms grabbed Sakura tighter. "No you're not leaving. You're staying here with me."

"Hey you know that I'll be back don't you?"

She gave an apologetic look to Sasuke.

"You can't say for sure that you'll be back."

Sakura understood what the little girl meant. She lifted her in the air and sat her on the side of her hip.

"Do you want to know why I will be back?" she said yes with her head. "Because I really really love you and when you love someone you fight even harder to see them again. Exactly like your parents did. And do you know who taught me that? Naruto."

"But they didn't come back..."

"That's because they loved you so much that they fought bravely to make sure that the mean enemy would not come and hurt you."

"But there's no big enemy anymore?"

"No, and that's why I will be back, ok?"

"Ok..."

"Either way I can't leave now I need to wait for Mawara to come back. Let me show you my friend then." she pointed at Sasuke. "See? He's the one who protected me in all of my old missions and he's the one who'll protect me for this one. He is very strong."

She saw Sasuke's hand clutching.

"I know he is the friend of Naruto the hero of the village.... Ishini told me about him. Let me down."

Sakura put her down and the little girl ran to Sasuke who seemed very hesitant. Sakura smiled at the scene, it was going to be fun to watch that.

"Hey you," she pointed her tiny finger at him. "You better not let Sakura-chan get hurt or I'll hit you!"

Sasuke looked at her and then Sakura completely lost. The woman laughed. He looked back at the little girl and kneeled down in front of her.

"Don't worry... she..." he paused probably not knowing what to say. "she can take care of herself."

Sakura chuckled loudly, that really wasn't the right thing to say but she appreciated the effort he put in. She kneeled down as well.

"What Sasuke meant is that you shouldn't have to worry about me. I will be fine don't worry."

"Mh!" she crossed her arms and wrinkled her nose. "I hope so!"

Sakura and Sasuke waited for Mawara, the nurse, to come back and once she was there they left together. This was going to be a fun journey. She had enough confidence around him to tease him or push him out of his comfort zone and she surely intended to. She eventually knew that the feelings she felt for him will get in the way but for now she just wanted to enjoy things as they were.