He avoided my gaze, clearing his throat. “I mean, I was talking about you… Alam mo naman ang sagot na mukukuha mo kay Colton pero nagpunta ka pa sa kanila. And what was your excuse again? PowerPoint?” Natawa siya at inilingan ako.

“Nahiya naman ang messenger at email sa effort mo, Mona. You are such a disgrace to the Clavel clan!” Sabi pa ng walanghiya! 

I felt my cheeks burn in embarrassment. Sinuntok ko siya sa braso niya habang nakasimangot sa kanya mas tinawanan lang naman niya ako.

No matter how I admit that he hit my nerve again, I couldn’t deny the fact that the heavy atmosphere is no longer around… I guess this is really my norm with Ciel. Him teasing me and me getting annoyed as hell. 

“Stop teasing me! I was too driven by my anger to even think of a better excuse!” I defended myself. 

His brows furrowed a little but there was still a left over smile on his face. “Sanay ka namang paiba-iba ang girlfriend ni Colton pero ngayon ka lang nagalit?” 

“Sa dinami-dami ba naman kasi ng babae sa HAU bakit ‘yung Lexie pa na ‘yon ang ginirlfriend niya? That bitch bullied me when we were just in elementary! Hindi niya deserve ang sumaya! At sa piling pa ni Colton?!” Bwisit kong sabi at pinagkrus ang mga braso ko sa aking dibdib. 

Salubong ang kilay ko siyang tiningnan. His teasing smile was no longer there, his expression was casual again but I can sense that there’s something more behind those features. Something that I always failed to read… 

 He wet his bottom lip, pushing out a sigh. “Mona, that was still during your elementary days. You’ve been hurt, I get that. But you can’t judge a person based on her previous mistakes. Malay mo naman nagbago na siya? And don’t let your anger deprive others from being happy. We all deserve to be happy, Mona.” He said. 

My face fell into a scrunch. “E ‘di ako na naman ang mali… Kailan mo pa ba ako kinampihan?” I uttered, bitterly. He’s making a point, yes, pero hindi ba pwedeng kampihan niya ako kahit minsan? Nakakainis. 

“Mona…” He called me, softly. I firmly shut my mouth drawing my full attention outside the window. 

He pulled the car over. Nakarating na kami sa tapat ng bahay namin. I unbuckled my seatbelt.

“Thank you,” I said dryly and without looking at him. I was about to hop out of his car but the asshole manipulated his car controls, locking the door completely. 

Inis ko siyang tiningnan at sinamaan nang tingin. 

“Can you listen to me first?” He asked. I didn’t answer, I just stared at him. 

I heard him sigh. “Look, I’m on your side, okay? That’s for sure. Kahit sabay-sabay ka pa nilang pagtulungan, ilalaban kita kahit sa harapan pa ng maraming tao… kahit mali ka, ipagtatanggol pa rin kita. Pero syempre kapag tayong dalawa na lang, pagsasabihan kita dahil ayaw kong kunsintihin ka sa mali.” Kalmado niyang paliwanag. 

Fuck… The thought that there is someone who would be willing to fight with you against the crowd with no inhibitions, no matter what it takes, and even when you’re wrong... And the thought of someone correcting your mistakes in private instead of embarrassing you in front of the crowd leaves me speechless. 

He’s not just capable of stealing the air in one’s lungs, he is also capable of stealing the words on one’s tongue.

He smiles at me. “You have a beautiful heart, Mona. Don’t let your anger consume that beautiful thing inside your chest…” 

I just looked at him as his words began to infiltrate me again. 

A low chuckle rise from his throat. “Come on, h’wag ka nang magalit sa’kin… Kakabati lang natin, eh.”