CHAPTER ONE

"How's the surgery, Doctor Xiao?" Doctor Zhuo Feng just came into his office. He was leaning at the back of his swivel chair when his secretary informed him that the older doctor wanted to talk to him.

"Hmm, it was successful, Doc Zhuo." He gave him a faint smile. Doctor Zhuo knows well why he was still sad when they talk about surgery and saving people's lives.

"Good job, Doc Lawrence. You are the best doctor we have here. But don't you just think of trying something new on this field?

"Like what?"

"Medical mission? You are stuck in this hospital for five years now, am I correct? How about you try outside and you might find your soon to be girlfriend there." The older doctor then winked at him.

Lawrence Xiao laughed, softly. He was comfortable with the older doctor, for he was like a father to him although he still looked young even he's already 47 years old.

"Girlfriend? Hmm, I don't think so Doc? I have no plan of having a girlfriend yet. She might just complain if I had no time for her. I'll wait for the person who will understand my profession and what life I have." He responded with a smile plastered on his face.

"Hmm, you are right anyway. I met my wife when I was ten years in service. I had girlfriends before her but mostly took only for a few months because they don't understand me. They were always demanding too much of my time." The older doctor chuckled as he remembered his past relationships.

"I'm still young though so I don't need to be in such a hurry." Lawrence Xiao replied, laughing.
"Anyways, is there anything you need Doc? Why did you visit me?"

"Well, the board of directors had a meeting yesterday and we discussed the request of the army battalion for a team of doctors and nurses to do a medical mission where their camp is situated. There's a dengue outbreak happening right now, affecting those residents and they are lack of doctors and nurses and some are afraid to volunteer because the militants are still lurking in that area and they are afraid that another clash between the military and the terrorists will happen again."

"So you mean Doc Zhuo, you're asking me to volunteer?"

"You don't like it?" The older doctor smiled, weakly, as if trying to put me amid of conscience.

"But doc, why me? There's a lot of doctors there but why did you choose me? You know a lot of patients are always looking for me." Lawrence Xiao wanted to know the reason why Doctor Zhuo chose him.

"Well, I know you are the best doctor here and I trust you. I know how dedicated you are towards your work." He truthfully said, trying to convince Lawrence Xiao.

"I'll think about it Doc." He sighed and massaged the bridge of his nose, a gesture that says he was having a second thought. Various consequences might welcome him there, who knows.

"Well tomorrow there's another meeting and I want you to attend. I want to know your answer too, tomorrow." The doctor smiled, hoping that the young man would oblige.

"Okay, Doc. I will!"

"I'll take my leave now, Doc Lawrence. Looking forward to your positive answer." Doctor Zhuo then left with a smile on his face.

Lawrence Xiao heaved a sigh. He said he'd think about it but to immerse on a mission where he could remember his brother was quite difficult for him. It's not like, he didn't want to remember his brother but to see how his life being a soldier and how he fell on and wasted his life brought Lawrence Xiao into deep thought. "Am I ready? What if..." he heaved again another deep sigh. So many what-ifs running around his mind.
-
The next day as what Doctor Zhuo have told him. Lawrence Xiao with the other doctors and nurses who received a memo to attend the meeting were currently waiting for the director to come.