swan song

2005

2005

"wow." i say looking at the 1967 chevy impala in front of me. "is she yours?"

"yep. dad gave her to me. she's my baby." i smile looking over at dean. he smiles back.

when she got in the backseat she noticed the initials that were dean and sam's. i can feel the memories in this car. it makes me smile. this is were it all began. this car was their home.

me and sam sat on the hood of the impala, sam had a beer in his hand while i had my mother's journal. i was reading up on how she would channel her power, i was interested to how she did it, thought it might help me for the big fight.

"hey." i heard sam says as someone approached the car. i turn to see dean as he grabs himself a beer out of the cooler. he leans back up against the car, he stays silent for a moment.

"dean?" sam says slightly turning to him. "what's going on?" dean doesn't say anything for a second.

"i'm in." he finally says, struggling to get it out.

"in with..?" sam questions looking at dean confused.

"the whole 'up with satan' thing. i'm on board." sam gets up from his position so he's face closer to him. i put the string to hold my place in the journal closing it, turning to play attention to him.

"you're gonna let me say yes?" sam asks, not quite getting it.

"no. that's the thing. it's not on me to let you do anything. you're grown, well, over grown, man." i hold back my laughs knowing this was a serious moment. "if this is what you want, i'll back your play."

"that's the last thing i thought you'd ever say."

"might be. i'm not gonna lie to you, though. it goes against every fiber i got. i mean, truth is.. you know, watching out for you... it's kinda been my job, you know? but more than that, it's... it's kind of who i am. you're not a kid anymore, sam, and i can't keep treating you like one. maybe i got to grow up a little, too. i don't know if we got a snowball's chance. i mean the most powerful person we got is belle over here. but... but i do know that if anybody can do it. it's you and even her." dean just adds me in their since i'm here, i know he meant this conversation to be just between him and his brother but i was just here. saved him another conversation he would have had to make.

"thank you." sam says, actual gratefulness in his voice. i didn't say anything because i didn't want to ruin their bro moment.

"if this is what you want.. is this really what you want?" he says looking at the both of us. i just nod. sam takes a second with his answer.

"i let him out. i got to put him back in." i look to sam, i put my hand on his shoulder to bring him comfort.

"okay. that's it then." dean says, taking a sip of his beer. we just continue to sit there in silence. enjoying each other's presence.