Chapter 5

"Do you even know what you're doing?!"

"Of course not! Didn't you listen to me when I told you what happened?" Jekk and I are standing in the middle of their bedroom, making sure we're ready to leave. I double check myself to make sure my satchel and belt are still in place, while Jekk adjusts their backpack, their eyes brimming with nerves and excitement.

"Alright then, well we should at least decide where we're going," they point out. Crap, they have a point.

"Right!" I pull out the journal and start to look through the pages, trying to decide which world will be the one to start our journey. "How about... Crit? That seems like a decent place."

"What do we know about it?"

"Well, it says here that there are more Traveller tribes in Crit than almost anywhere else. It seems like a good place to start."

Jekk ponders this for a moment. "Okay, what do the people look like? We don't want to stand out too much while we're there." I bite my lip as I find the answer in the book.

"They look... nothing like us." Crap. My face contorts into a grimace as I show Jekk Hetta's notes on the people of Crit. With bright skin colors, no hair, and mouths that take up most of their face, Critans would definitely notice two Gaian and Terrini teenagers. "Do you have something to hide your face with? I can probably use my cloak."

"Um, I think so. Let me check." They rush over to a closet in the hall and start digging through the stuff hanging up. "How about... this?!" They hold up an enormous blue hoodie that would probably hang down to their knees, as well as cover up their arms and face.

"It's perfect! As long as Critan fashion isn't too different from ours, we probably won't stand out too much!" At this rate, we'll solve the Mystery of the Missing Travellers ™️ in no time!

"Alright then, let's do this!" I make sure my cloak is secure and that everything is in place before reaching out to Jekk with my ring-clad hand. "I think it'll probably work best if we maintain physical contact."

"Okay..." they reluctantly take my hand and hold it awkwardly as I take a deep breath to focus my mind.

"Crit."

It feels the same as before; a tight, almost claustrophobic sensation where I feel pressure all along my body. I make sure to hold on tight to Jekk's hand so we don't get separated.

My feet touch solid ground and I let out a small gasp as I stumble a bit, letting go of Jekk's hand. I struggle a little to catch my breath before hearing their nervous voice.

"Sara?"

"Yeah?" What's up?

"Where exactly are we?" I look around the dark room and try to make out some shapes, and I pause when I see something looking vaguely humanoid.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" The figure doesn't move, so I decide to step closer to them. Hesitantly, I rest my hand on their shoulder to get their attention. Nothing.

Wait a minute... I walk around to face the figure and sigh. "It's a mannequin." I call out to Jekk, who still hasn't moved from their spot a few feet away. "There's nothing to be afraid of."

"Well, except that." Huh? I turn to see what Jekk is staring at with wide eyes and choke back a gag.

"Is that... lingerie?" Seriously, these Critans must have some pretty weird kinks.

"Is that what it's supposed to be?" They ask with a shudder. "Maybe this place wasn't the best idea."

"Yeah..." if that's what the people of Crit think is sexy, then I'd hate to see what they consider casual. "Where do you recommend we go n-"