CH. 4

That night, as they walk back to their residence, Dareon stumbles behind in a drunken state. He demands that Aria and James complete their homework.

"Ha yeah right, like i'm going to do homework." Aria shouts.

"I'm serious Aria, do your homework."

"I'm serious, I'm not going to." She walks up the walkway.

"Aria, I do not want to deal with your attitude right now."

"Then don't, I'll be in my room." She goes upstairs and lays in her coffin.

"My god Dareon, don't you think that was a little harsh?" Victor says.

"No, I'm not going to deal with that attitude of hers. Who does she think she is talking to me like that?" Dareon goes to the kitchen and has a shot of bourbon.

"But what attitude, she was just replying to whatever you'd say."

Dareon ignores Victor's comment, he places the shot glass on the counter before heading to his own room. The next day, James and Aria get up for school. While walking, they heard a roaring engine coming their way. She sees Theo in his red 2012 Mustang pulled up to the curb where they're standing.

"Hey, you guys need a ride?" Theo asks.

"Who is he? Some spoiled little rich kid?" James whispers.

"How should I know? You want me to tell him to go ahead without us?"

"We'd love one." James looks at Theo.

He walks to the passenger side door, leaving Aria to slide into the backseat. Theo puts the car in gear and winks at Aria from the rear view mirror.

"Um excuse me, but did you just wink at her?" He says protectively.

"What, nah man. I wouldn't do that, that's your sister."

Aria chuckles to herself and shakes James' seat.

"Listen, I'm gonna drop you guys off at the door and go park. I'll meet you by your locker Aria." Giving her another wink through the mirror.

When they all get inside, Theo offers to accompany Aria and walks to class. James and Aria go their separate ways until lunchtime. 

During class, Theo moves closer to her. She instinctively backs away. When she realizes what she has done, she quickly regains her composure.

"Sorry, I just feel claustrophobic sometimes."

The teacher scolds them and tells them to stop talking.

"God, Mr. Kelly is such a dick sometimes." Theo shakes his head.

"You're gonna get into trouble." She writes down notes.

"Oh c'mon, you totally agree." 

She laughs quietly trying not to alert their teacher of Theo's demeaning joke. Mr. Kelly calls on Theo for a question to answer. He looks to Aria for help, hoping she has paid attention, she looks up and answers. Mr. Kelly looks at his book, and sees that she was right. His look of astonishment turns to maliciousness. 

"I wasn't speaking to you Aria." He says in a dark tone.

"Sorry sir, I just thought I would help out a fellow classmate."

After she speaks, the bell sounds and she collects her stuff to leave.

"Whoa, you really saved my ass back there!"

"No shit I did, you better thank me."

"Thanks." He laughs.

"So where did you say you moved from again?"

"Blackwater, it's a small town."

"Sounds like a boring town to live in." 

"It wasn't so bad, the only problem was that everyone is always in your business. Plus my friends and I weren't really much of an extrovert with people." 

"Oh, that sucks, I hate when people try to involve themselves into something they're not supposed to. So, what class do you have next?" He asks.

"English."

They talk until they arrive at her classroom.

"I'll see ya later?" She gives him a playful punch on the shoulder.

As she walks in, she hears Amber make a side remark at her, but decides to ignore it. Later on, while she is finishing up her work the teacher handed out, she hears Amber say something about her again. She looks at Amber disgusted, but knows there is nothing she could do about it so she just lets it go the remainder of class. Theo is waiting for her in the hallway so they can walk together to lunch. 

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Aria smiles.

"Teacher let us out early, so I thought we could walk to lunch together."

"Oh, well okay." They walk towards the cafeteria.

"Thanks again, about earlier."

"You can stop thanking me, seriously no big deal, I didn't want you to get into trouble for talking to me. I mean that's what friends do, we're friends right?"

"Yeah." Theo says with a tinge of disappointment in his voice.

While in the cafe, Aria sees James sitting at the same table as yesterday. She says goodbye to Theo, and goes over towards him. She tells him what just happened and he gives her a what the fuck look.

"Don't get too close."

"We're not, he's just a friend."

"You keep saying that you guys are just friends, but deep down you know. I mean you can see it, can't you? You have the ability to read his mind."

"Yes, but I don't want to know what he's thinking, it's rude."

"What's up with you? You never care about listening to what other people are thinking. Why is this guy different, do not tell me that you have feelings for him too! Christ sake you drink people's blood, you're not mortal; it'll never work!"

"I swear it's not like that. It's a new town, why not try to be nice for a change. I'm sick and tired of being the strange kid. I just want to be normal!"

"You can be polite and still use your abilities. Why are you being so sensitive about this, we're vampires. We can never be normal."

"Seriously James, he's a friend just like you, honestly."

At the end of the day, she heads to her locker, a small note falls out.