epilogue

ethan

"anna," i laugh, pushing her hand that holds a mango slice away from my face. "i said i'm full."

"come on," she wiggles her eyebrows. "it's the last one."

"can you guys like, shut up?" her roommate snaps, taking out her airpods and looking up from her book.

i widen my eyes, turning back to anna as we have a picnic on her floor.

"wanna eat with us, meg? there's a couple pieces of pizza left, and the dining hall is closed right now," anna offers genuinely.

megan glares at me and puts her airpods back in.

"she never leaves the room," anna whispers to me. "oh my god."

"why am i always being glared at?"

"i wondered the exact same thing at the beginning of last summer," anna says, raising her eyebrows.

i laugh at her mention of our past. "shut up. that's done and over with."

it's october, meaning the air finally isn't 90°, and grayson's freaking out over halloween. i should've never roomed with him. i thought i could handle it, because i did it for 18 years, but i was wrong.

sharing a jail cell sized space with your twin isn't a good idea.

"oh," anna says quickly. "your mom called me."

i take a sip of my vitamin water and widen my eyes. "what about?"

she scratches the back of her head, looking a little confused. "she wanted to take me to... goat yoga? i don't know, but i'm willing to do anything at this point."

anna and my mom's relationship has become polite, but anna feels like she has to walk on eggshells all the time.

i feel like they're both trying really hard. anna presents herself sophisticatedly whenever they're near each other, and my mom has been offering her all sorts of bonding exercises to understand her lifestyle more.

they're meeting in the middle.

"goat yoga?" i snort. "sounds... smelly."

"i know!" she exclaims with a laugh. "but i'm excited. we're going in early november."

"you have to stop by cameron's apartment on your way. she's dying to see you— i think she just cleaned out her closet."

whatever cameron doesn't want, it automatically goes to anna's possession. it's overwhelming to have about twelve nice dresses hanging up in a small dorm closet, but i think she secretly enjoys it.

i check the time on my watch and sigh. "if i want to make it back for my study session tomorrow, i should probably get going."

"are you okay to drive in the night? i don't want you falling asleep or anything."

i narrow my eyes playfully and close the pizza box. "is this a devised plan to get to me to stay another night?"

she lowers her eyes. "maybeeee..."

"i'll see you in two weeks," i promise, tilting her chin back up.