nine

anna

saturdays and tuesdays are my days off, surprisingly. the sun shines directly on me as i lay out by the pool, sipping on a virgin piña colada that robert made me and finishing my summer reading.

"hey anna!" i hear, making me turn my head in all directions.

i see liam grinning at me, hand up in a wave at the gate to the beach walk.

laughing, i get out of my chair and lean against the gate.

"what're you doing here?" i ask, trying to suppress my smile.

"i was surfing and saw you out here," he says, motioning his head to the waves. "why're you at the dolan's?"

i hesitate. "i... i live in their guest house for the summer. they're family friends."

technically it wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the truth.

"cool," he thankfully grins. "do you maybe want to go get a smoothie? there's a place not far from here."

from my week in california, i haven't really left the country club. it's still my summer, whether i have a job or not.

"of course," i say, hoping to sound not too excited. "let me change," i motion to the baby blue bikini that would be very improper to go out in public in.

"me too. i'll pick you up at the guest house in 20?" he asks.

i nod. "i'll see you then."

he throws me a peace sign as he walks away, and i scramble to pick up my belongings from the side of the pool.

i internally shriek at the fact that a guy who looks like a model asked me out for smoothies, and creep up the side of the house.

i'm too busy adjusting my sunglasses to notice the person i walked into in front of me.

"oh my gosh, i'm so sorry," i begin to say, hoping it's not lisa dolan.

the face that stares back at me is almost worse than if i literally ran into my boss.

"hi, ethan," i sigh at his scowling expression.

"watch where you're going," he says bitterly.

he's shirtless and wearing a pair of white swim trunks, telling me that i just narrowly avoided his presence at the pool. i can't help but notice his toned abs and arms, but quickly avert my eyes back up to his.

"sorry," i mumble. "i just—"

"is it your day off?" he asks.

"yeah...?"

"good. so you're leaving for the day?" he asks hopefully.

"yes," i frown. "don't get too excited."

"where're you going?"

"to get smoothies with liam."

her raises an eyebrow, a hint of a laugh in his eyes. "... to get smoothies... with liam..."

"yes," i say, straightening my posture and folding my arms in front of me. "what's it to you?"

"oh nothing," he laughs humorously. "just don't have too much fun."

he pushes past me, heading straight for the pool.

"what's that supposed to mean?" i call out.

he doesn't answer, and i huffily stomp to the guest house.

i throw off my bikini and change into a pair of ripped jean shorts and a tube top, pairing it with a dainty necklace. my birkenstocks are my summer go-tos, as basic as it sounds, so i slip into a pair of those as well.