fifty-nine

anna

ethan and i sit on top of the monkey bars at my elementary school playground a day before he leaves.

"just a few weeks," he says, staring out into the orange and red sunset. "then you'll be back in california."

i turn to him. "i can't wait until school starts."

ethan nods, giving me a small smile. "me too. i think it'll be nice to finally be... independent. kind of."

my stanford acceptance email came in on august 8, and i have only a couple of days to schedule my classes and find a dorm roommate. it's stressing me out a little, but ethan's been helping me.

"you'll probably get to visit home a lot, though," i whisper, feeling quite sad that i won't see my dad very much. "that'll be nice."

he gives me a somber look. "my home is your home. your california one, at least. i'm not kidding."

"thank you. and maybe i'll use that time to get your mom to fully like me? because right now she tolerates me because it makes you happy."

he laughs a little. "she'd be crazy not to love you as much as i do."

i sigh contently, feeling the warm august breeze and staring into the eyes of the love of my life.

"should we go back? my dad mentioned something about making a new recipe. it'll probably suck though, so don't get your hopes up. he's no robert."

ethan chuckles, jumping down the short distance to the ground. he looks up at me expectantly. "you coming?"

i give one last look to the old, nostalgic playground and turn my attention back to him. with one push, i'm in the air, plummeting to the ground.

my feet land wobbly, and i just about fall down.

but he catches my arms, steadying me.

giggling, i catch his intense gaze and reach up to give a long, slow kiss to his lips. he pulls me in closer by circling my waist and i cusp my hands on his cheeks.

"i love you," i whisper.

one time i said something about being able to say that to him, and never getting tired of it.

i was right.

i've said it to him at least forty times within the past few days, and every single time i do, he lights up like it's his first time hearing it.

the satisfying beam of his smile and shine to his eyes makes me want to say the three words until i run out of air.

he simply grabs my hand, and leads me home.

«»«»«»

"you remember the schedule, right?" i ask, clearly anxious as people move all around us.

ethan laughs. "yes. we spend the first week getting used to our campus, then we meet in the middle on the weekend."

"and then after that?"

he hesitates, trying to remember the plan. "and then every other week...? right? or is it—"

"never mind," i cut in, waving a hand in the air. "call me as soon as you land, okay?"

his eyes flick over my shoulder at my dad reading a magazine in a seat a couple of yards away, and then back onto me. "i promise. i love you, anna."

"i love you too. kiss me before you're whisked away."

he chuckles and kisses my lips softly. then my forehead. i'm relieved to feel it's definitely more of an, 'i'll see you later' rather than a 'goodbye forever' kiss.

i hear his flight call, and he sends me one small smile before gathering me into a tight hug, then turning away.

usually people don't look back, but ethan's not one of those guys.

actually, he turns around at the nearest trash can and continues to walk backwards, waving at me wildly with a grin plastered to his face.

i laugh as he almost backs into an old guy, and wave back.

i wait until he disappears around a corner before sighing and turning back to my dad.

he stands behind me and asks, "ready?"

i take one last look around at the spot where we just said goodbye.

"yes," i confirm.

and it's true.

i'm ready for it all.