Chapter 44 - Phoebe

Start from the beginning

"Alexa, maybe we should call Elliott?" I say calmly, hoping to god it is loud enough for my phone to pick up and make the call.

"My name isn't Alexa." She hisses.

"Arielle, sorry I forgot." I correct myself, praying I spoke loud enough my phone could pick it up.

"Of course." She snorts, spinning the knife between her fingers, "Of course everyone forget me. Elliott forgot me after he stole our chance."

I remember Elliott telling me the story but I need to stall for me with the crazy woman holding me a knifepoint.

"What chance? What happened?" I ask gently.

"He didn't tell you? Why would he tell anyone about how he pretended to love me and then on the night he was discovered completely forgot me and stole the chance from my band." She takes a breath, "He broke my heart, took our opportunity and broke my brother. Now I'm going to take something from him."

She is brandishing the knife again and I press myself as far back against the sink unit as possible. "What happened to your brother?"

The hurt on her face is raw and I am suddenly aware this is her true motivation. This is the thing that pushed her over the edge.

"When they got picked and left us in the dust he turned to drugs." She pauses, briefly overcome by whatever she is feeling at the memories, "They ruined him. Rehab doesn't work. I have lost my brother forever because of them." She spits final bit, a fire in her eyes.

"Then take me. Make me suffer. Don't hurt her." Elliott says from the doorway, hands raised in surrender.

His phone is in his hand and his make-up is half done telling me he ran from show prep.

My relief at seeing him is shortlived as I realise what he is doing.

"No!" I take a step towards him and she dives in the middle of us grabbing me and wrenching me back.

"Please, please let her go." Elliott begs, his eyes wide in horror.

I feel the cold kiss of steel against my throat and close my eyes for a second. I'm aware of Elliott trying to reason with her and the arrival of more people.

Arielle is getting antsy, I can feel nerves making her shift behind me. She thinks I'm frozen in fear and unable to move. Her grip on me loosens as she shouts something at them and I see my chance.

I duck, hooking my foot round the back of her leg and tugging hard so she falls back onto the tiled floor with a thud.

I don't even look back as I scramble away from her. Elliott is diving for me, reaching out to pull me into his arms.

A hand grabs around my ankle and I kick hard to escape as security guards burst into the room and dive on Arielle, forcing her to let me go.

"Noooo." She cries.

I glance at her and see how hard she is fighting to get to us as Elliott pulls me from the room.

When we are out I bury my face in his chest, trying to gather my thoughts and trembling from the adrenaline at being forced to fight for my life like that.

"Are you ok? Did she hurt you?" Elliott's hands are searching me frantically for any injuries.

"I'm ok," I say shakily before repeating it a little more confidently, "I'm ok."

"I thought-" Elliott shakes his head, looking a little green through the make up, "I didn't know if I would get to you in time."

"But you did." I soothe, brushing a hand against his face.

"Not that you needed me." He laughs, "What sort of karate action movie crap was that?"

I laugh back, "I don't know, I-I just reacted." I shrug, still a little surprised it actually worked.

Victoria rushes up, looking worried. "I just heard. I thought the security....I thought it would be safe." She looks absolutely crushed.

"It's not your fault. She was determined to find a way in so she would have anyway." I reassure but she doesn't look like she much believes me.

"I'll call the show off when the opening act finish this song."

"No!" I shake my head.

"No?" Both her and Elliott say simultaneously.

"No." I repeat, "We have her now so it's safe."

"The police are on their way." Victoria says slowly.

"You nearly died." Elliott is in disbelief.

"Yeah, but I didn't. Please don't let her ruin this." I explain.

Elliott looks at me like I've grown a second head.

"If you're sure that's what you want?" He says dubiously.

"Definitely. The show must go on!"