Chapter 6

Can't look at you

After that night when Jungkook has promised Joon to stay away from Taehyung, he had been trying his best to do exactly that. At work Jungkook kept trying to make Jin change his shifts so the two didn't have the same shifts. He made his schedule as different to Taehyung as he could. So now he only worked with Taehyung twice a week.

It had a few weeks now. A few long, exhausting weeks. Long because for Jungkook, every moment seems like that when you have no idea when your partner might snap and hurt you again. Exhausting because recovering is just that, and trying to keep up with making sure he was on good behaviour.

Every morning Jungkook got up early like normal but always squeezed inside Joon's arms. He'd have to softly tell Joon he needs to get out of bed to get ready but would end up getting up 10 minutes later than he wanted from all of Joon's morning kisses. But rather than being afraid and trying to get quickly as possible, Jungkook closed his eyes and responded to all of Joon's kisses. A part of him loved this but a part of this knew it was temporary...and he hated that.

Jungkook's morning routine had been the same for last few weeks. Getting up, making breakfast which they both eat with a peaceful silence, getting dressed, Jungkook always made sure to put extra makeup on his scars, and leaving for work. Sometimes Joon even dropped Jungkook off to work! Which was very unexpected from him because he never dropped or picked up Jungkook ever since the abuse started.

Today was one of those days where Jungkook was dropped to the cafe. Joon parked right next to the cafe. Jungkook got out, he made sure to lean over and give Joon a goodbye kiss. Jungkook smiled and stepped out of the vehicle and walked inside the cafe.

But he didn't know that Taehyung was walking to the cafe at the time he was in Joon's car. With his hands tucked in his jeans, Taehyung spotted Jungkook from a few metres behind leaning over to the drivers seat and placing a kiss onto what he guessed must be Jungkook's boyfriend. Taehyung didn't understand why he suddenly felt a knot in his stomach seeing Jungkook's gorgeous lips on someone. Even though it's not like he got a full view, whenever Jungkook even mentioned his boyfriend, Taehyung felt something weird scrunch inside him.

Nevertheless he entered the cafe just in time to see Jungkook put the apron around his neck from behind the register and tie it around his waist giving Taehyung a good view of his back.

Taehyung realised how little they had shifts together. Before it was like nearly all the time with only some where they weren't together. Now it seemed more like the opposite. Taehyung didn't see Jungkook as much he wished and barely ever spoke to him. But he always tried to.

Today Taehyung and Jungkook had the same shift, the day Taehyung found himself looking forwards to. And maybe secretly Jungkook looked forward to the days he got to steal some glances as Taehyung too. But every time he did he, he felt like he was betraying Joon so he tried his best not to.

Taehyung wasn't sure to go up to Jungkook just yet so he slipped past him and went to grab mugs as he was going to be making the orders today and started preparing.

Jungkook took a deep breath getting ready for the morning rush. Despite not having received a beating in a while he still felt tired all the time, especially after some particular nights. Jungkook turned around to start working but suddenly stopped as he saw Taehyung in front of him taking a picture of an expresso he made with a cute heart design.

Jungkook suddenly felt lost and simply stared at the older for a rare few seconds

Jungkook suddenly felt lost and simply stared at the older for a rare few seconds. Taehyung had one sleeve of his white collared shirt rolled up showing one of his long attractive arms. His brownish hair neatly brushed and the glasses adding a perfect touch to appearance. It was perfection.

But something Jungkook remembered he can't look at. He can't think about that anymore. Not after his promise. I don't mean to keep ignoring you. I just can't look at you anymore.

Jungkook was about to turn around but just too late as Taehyung turned his own body and saw the younger looking at him. Jungkook bit his lip trying to look normal.

Taehyung smiled and scratched the back of head with a nervous grin. "Ugh, hey. How are you?" He asked. That was basically the only thing Taehyung ever got to say to Jungkook now. They rarely spoke. Jungkook bit his lip slightly and replied "I'm...ok. Like I always have been." Of course that was a lie. But Jungkook had to say it anyway.

Before Taehyung could say anything else, the small bell on the door was heard. "I...ugh..." Jungkook didn't know what to say but he signalled he had to tend to the costumer and Taehyung simply nodded ready to revive orders. Jungkook unknowingly shot Taehyung a slight rare smile before turning his back to him and walked to the register.

While Taehyung stood behind watching Jungkook. He felt like that tiny smile was something big. Something special. Something he wanted to see over and over.