Chapter Three - Rumors of Love and Death

~~Sage Nikita Shellanze~~

Day Three saw the elimination of Cricket and Unicorn, and now, only ten remained out of the original twenty singers.

As Sage Nikita Shellanze listened to the clues and performances for the brunch show, she found that she couldn't focus very well. She tried taking notes and honing her guesses, but inevitably her thoughts kept wandering back to Wolf, who wouldn't be performing again until the evening.

She had no idea who he was, and he disguised his voice well, but what really puzzled her was his proclamation of love.

After his clues and songs while the panelists were supposed to be guessing, Wolf had interrupted Count Nicolae.

"I have a confession to make, and it can't wait until next time. I need to say this while I'm safe behind the mask. Sage Shellanze, you have captured my heart for many years. I've always admired you from afar, but after all this is over, I'd love to love you from a closer proximity."

In subsequent performances, the mystery man had also interjected compliments for Nikita, compliments about her looks, her clothes, her smile, her laugh, her eyes, her personality, even her knowledge and wisdom.

As she laughed and blushed and joked, Nikita figured surely her fellow friends and judges thought she was simply playing along and hyping up the masked crowd for the entertainment value. Indeed, she was doing her best to make the investigation as fun as possible, but deep down, she cherished Wolf's words.

And with each performance, each love song belted from his soft, smooth, deep voice, she felt his passion deeper and deeper, and she realized he wasn't acting or joking.

And when she acted flattered and interested, she wasn't joking either.

That fact started to scare her.

Get your head in the investigation, she chastised herself. He might be the intruder! He doesn't love you and you don't love him.

Though she was confident in her looks, she knew being both a scholar and a woman with responsibilities (at least, more responsibility than childbearing) made her intimidating to the eligible nobles she'd met.

But now, a man says he loves me for me, not for my body and not for my upper-class family, profession, or status. What if Wolf is being honest? What if he loves me? What if I could love him back? What if—"

"Sage Nikita, what is your guess?" asked Count Nicolae, breaking her reverie.

Quickly, Nikita looked to the stage to remind herself who she was supposed to be guessing.

"Ah, yes, Dragon. You have positively stumped me. After listening rather closely, I think you're obviously Doctor Kennth's mother."

Everyone laughed at her misdirect, which gave her enough time to remember Dragon's clues from the last few days, and she followed up with her real guess.

At the end of the brunch show, Dragon was eliminated, and the crowd dispersed throughout the monochromatic ballroom chambers. She looked through the throng of masked partiers and saw Wolf at the entrance to the purple room.

This is my chance, she thought. I need to talk to him. Now. Face-to-face while he still has his mask. Then I'll know if any of this is real or if my feelings are playing tricks on me.

Just as she started walking towards that far door, Nicolae intercepted her.

He said, "Hello Sage. How are you? You seemed a little distracted during today's show. I—"