Chapter 10: From the Mouth of the Murderer

Start from the beginning

Before Calvin could grab Gregory-Smith and kill him completely, the old alpha spoke again. "Do you want to hear the entire tale, Calvin? Do you want to know why I managed to kill her? Annalise...she's the most important person in the world next to nothing."

That stopped him midway and I could almost feel Calvin having an internal battle within himself, something that he could only control. Finally, he kept his hands on his side; the sinking sun casts a shadow through our frames as the three of us stood in the almost empty dining room, the tension in the room is rising and I couldn't help but feel to be of no use. I am a mere watcher--a viewer of events-- as it unfolded right before my eyes. I could read the sadness engraved on the vampire lord's eyes as he stared at Gregory-Smith.

"Why, then?" Calvin started in almost a whisper. "Why did you kill my parents? They have displeased no one. They are good vampires who keep to their word. They are in love. What did they do to deserve a fate like that?"

The pain in his voice is palpable as he spoke the words and I felt it engrave deep inside me. Up until now, he's still hurt; up until now, Calvin is still traumatized by whatever he'd experienced. It was all because of this old alpha who was also looking somber.

"They were not in love until later in their relationship, Calvin," he said softly and I saw Calvin snap his attention back at him. "Your mother...he forced your father in marriage. They were both unhappy at first, the marriage didn't work out. Your father has condemned your mother for killing his beloved, a human, and decided to stay away from her until years had passed. Your mother was lonely. Her parents are--"

"No, you're lying! My parents are very much in love!" He shouted, the walls of the house vibrating on the edges that I backed away in fear that he might just burst.

"-- her parents have left the castle under her and her husband's care and left, never to be seen again. That's where I come into picture, Calvin. Your mother was very lonely. She was on the verge of depression when I came in her life and for a moment, we loved each other."

To say that Calvin was shocked was an understatement. His eyes were wide as saucers as he lost the ability to speak, something that's becoming common to the both of us these past few days.

Gregory-Smith had a wistful smile in his face as he continued. "Annalise was my everything, child. Yes, she was. I was greatly enraged when your father came strolling back months later, apparently forgiving her in everything and whatever we had vanished in thin air. It was one of the darkest time of my life, you see. She came running back to him and soon, had you. I thought I accepted it. I thought I got over it. But I guess I didn't."

"That's why you got them killed?" Calvin said as the look of disbelief crossed his face. "That's what got them killed? A pity party for revenge?"

"It wasn't just revenge!" Gregory-Smith countered as his wheelchair rocked under the pressure he's exerting. He sat upright, rigid to his stance as if defending himself from the accusations. "It was not just revenge! He destroyed me! Your father destroyed me!"

"And you destroyed me in return?!" Calvin shouted, slamming his fists on the table, snapping it into two. Cookies and tea flew in different directions, the liquid pooling on my shoes as the loud crashing of porcelain met the hard tiles. "You didn't hear her scream that night! You didn't see her face when she pushed me away! You didn't see her as she shed tears, which my mother rarely does, by the way! You didn't see her beg for me to keep me safe! Is that it? Is this your idea of love?!"

I watched as he laughed darkly, something that is extremely worrying. He walked to the nearest wall and slammed his fists on it, breaking the concrete on the process, creating a hole. His eyes are mercilessly red as he snarled at us. "You lycans are pathetic!" He roared as he took the nearest chair and flung it not far from us. Splinters of wood showered on both of us but I didn't have the strength to stop it. My gaze is fixated on Calvin looking for the worse; Calvin never looses his cool. Whenever he did, he usually gets it back in but this time, his inner demons are surfacing in an alarming rate that I couldn't do anything.