Chapter 10

There was a time in Hadrian's life when he thought love was for those whose minds were not strong enough to handle the harsh realities of the world on their own. He had thought himself superior for not knowing it, and for not chasing it. And yet, he had in a moment of absurd clarity found that his life had revolved around love for its entirety, and he had simply been blind.

His mother's love had saved his father from a path of destruction. His father's love had saved him from the clutches of insanity, and Dumbledore's ever-present snares. His own love, infantile and uncultivated as it was, had led him down a path of selflessness - one that he never would have willingly traveled before. But with the certainty of death by his side, the knowledge that he had a power that could save others from the machinations of a senile old man... well, why not give it his all?

~*~*~*~*

"You don't hate him, Hadrian."

"I do. He is a plague that steals the hearts of innocents and consumes them for his own selfish gluttony, sitting on his over-sized throne so that no one dares challenge him. So of course, as soon as I rise to face him, he waves me away as though I'm an insignificant gnat, ruining his relaxation as he basks in the glory of his kingdom. A kingdom, mind you, that I gave to him. If it weren't for me, he would be a wisp of smoke on the back of another pitiful fool's head." Hadrian finished with a flourish, falling back onto the stiff couch that had become his designated sulking area.

"Don't be so dramatic you imbecile. His letter implied none of that and you know it. In fact, I would go so far as to say that he is welcoming you back, and you are just too stubborn to except the fact that he is taking the higher ground in this petty argument." Lysander snapped, eyes flashing dangerously and going ignored by the teenager across from him.

"Petty? You think this is petty? I have given everything for him, and he has not once acknowledged those sacrifices! Is it too much to ask for a pat on the back, a nod of appreciation? I have never even -" Hadrian cut himself off, shame welling up at his now exposed weakness. Lys said nothing, setting his now forgotten book aside.

"You want to see him, but you don't know how to accept his appreciation for you if he showed it, which, if we are going off this letter, he very much wants to express to you." The vampire bluntly stated.

Hadrian sat silent for a moment, lips pursed.

"It doesn't matter in any case. There are still sure to be a number of clans we have missed that still need protection, that Aria is still a danger to. I cannot return until I have reached them. This standstill between my father and Dumbledore can only mean they're preparing for the grand finale. And that means everyone will be in danger."

"You said two years, Hadrian. Two years to find every creature in this world and protect them from Aria, and that is what you have done. Isn't it time we finished this?" Lys implored, eyes lingering on the hundreds of white hairs now scattered through half of Hadrian's hair. "You may not want to tell me what this ritual you have been performing for each clan really is, but I know that just like any other dark magic, it comes with a sacrifice. And you have sacrificed enough. Please, Hadrian, let's finish this."

Hadrian glanced out the window, eyes following the shadows cast by the tall building they were in. It was true, what Lys had said. The rituals came with a sacrifice, and if Lys knew what that was, then his father would inevitably know, and then the past two years would have been for nothing. Marvolo knew the dangers of soul magic intimately, and would never have let Hadrian sacrifice his own life force for any reason. But he was the only one who could. The only one who wouldn't suffer from a sliver of his life being given for someone else, who would still be whole. And that was more than enough reason to have done what he did. He had no regrets.

"Fine." He finally stated after a moment of tense silence. "We'll go back. But first, we go to Canada. I promised I would return, and I don't intend on going back on that."

"Canada?" Lys questioned, mind traveling back to one of their first destinations almost two years ago.

"Yes. The werefox clan, do you remember? It was the first time I used that ritual, and I want to make sure it is still as strong as the others."

"And not for sentimental reasons, of course." Lysander smirked knowingly. Hadrian cast him a ludic smirk.

"What do you take me for, a Hufflepuff?"

~*~*~*~*

It was still dark out when they arrived at the edge of the secluded forest in Nova Scotia. The sun was beginning to peak out over the horizon, casting just enough light to paint the sky in dark blue and providing enough light for the two to navigate the dense forest unencumbered. Hadrian had only ever traveled this way once before, so feeling the ancient wards of the werefox clan slide over him flooded him with relief. He passed through them completely, then turned back to face his friend.

"They didn't like me much when I came the last time. I'll meet you at the manor, alright?" Lys called out, a small smirk on his thin face. Hadrian nodded in agreement.

"I'll see you then." He replied, and began the long trek into the woods.

As soon as he disappeared completely into the shadows of the trees, the smile fell from Lys' lips. A small pinch of the brows muddied his usually elegant features.

"I hope not." He whispered, and disappeared as the morning rays finally broke free.

~*~*~*~*